Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Need help with scheduling Abeka, CLP, and R&S

Need help with scheduling Abeka, CLP, and R&S

I have never used this much diferent curriculum at the same time so I need help scheduling daily goals. This is what I have

CLP Spelling- It is pretty laid out bur wondering if I should add a little extra to ensure she is ready for the test at end of week

CLP Writing- Dont have that onhand yet but was wondering how that is laid out

CLP Readers- DD is starting with the Nature Reader. Wondering what she should actually do each day and how long should it take to finish each book

R&S Bible 4- How do you schedule this daily/weekly/

Abeka language- I only have the teachers key not the lesson plans. It looks like it takes 2 weeks to complete a unit and then take a test? Exactly when are the quizzes administeres? Do I go by pages or lessons in daily scheduling? The lessons are confusing when it says lesson 1 on one page then it says lesson 1/2 on the next

MCP Math- dont have it on hand but should arrive soon. May have questions about that after looking at it

Angela

re: Need help with scheduling Abeka, CLP, and R&S

Bumping up to see if someone can give me some input!

Angela

Hi Angela,

Do you mean Christian LIberty Press? =)

Hi, yes I do!

Okay, thanks! =) (Just wasn't sure if that was Christian LIberty or Christian LIght...) ;)

I'll put my reply under your question...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have never used this much diferent curriculum at the same time so I need help scheduling daily goals. This is what I have

CLP Spelling- It is pretty laid out bur wondering if I should add a little extra to ensure she is ready for the test at end of week

<<<I do basically a 180 days/36 week school schedule and this meshes perfectly with that. A lesson per week! Tests on Fridays! For us, we didn't need to do anything beyond the lesson, but it surely is simple enough that should you find that necessary, you could add in something and have time for it. =)

CLP Writing- Dont have that onhand yet but was wondering how that is laid out

<<<Hhmmm, not too sure what book that is? If you bought the ABeka for grammar, writing projects are included in there. (That's what I use, btw.) If you bought BJUP grammar, the writing is interspersed, chapter by chapter, one of grammar, one of writing. The only actual CLP writing book I know of is Creative Writing, but it's for older grade level, usually around 7th grade. If you do want a specific writing workbook, I can share that I use Spectrum Writing workbooks alongside the ABeka grammar and that works well.>>>>

CLP Readers- DD is starting with the Nature Reader. Wondering what she should actually do each day and how long should it take to finish each book

<<<Well, what I do is, I see how many pages total there are with ALL of the readers I want to use for the year. I then can divide by the number of days of school. What I do with the nature readers is have them read a small section, and then I assign the specific review questions from the end of that chapter that match up with that section. See, the sections are too long to read in a day. So if my child read a little at a time, and then suddenly had ALL the questions going back maybe 2 weeks' worth of reading. . .they'd have to be searching and looking back to find the answer. So I just have them answer as they go. Another easy, easy alternative that meshes well with tehse readers is narration. =) They tell back to you what they've read; or, if they like to, they can write a sentence or two to summarize. Another thing that meshes well is drawing pictures. (And btw, I do not test my children over their reading selections. We discuss and we write things so I know they understand. I do test in all their other subjects, and I will test for literature once they're in high school, but not at this point in time yet over reading stories.) CLP sells tests over some reading books but I don't use those.>>>

R&S Bible 4- How do you schedule this daily/weekly/

<<<It's been about 2 years since I've had a child in R&S Bible 4th. I have one using it this year! =) In the teacher book, they recommend 2 days per lesson (there are 75 total - - a big difference compared to grades 1-3).They suggest the student reading the story and doing vocab. on day 1, and re-reading and doing comp. workbook exercises the next day. If you plan to use the markable map for Paul's journeys, you might want to schedule the first day for working together, the second independent. Or...as fits your family best! It's pretty flexible. But those are ideas. >>>

Abeka language- I only have the teachers key not the lesson plans. It looks like it takes 2 weeks to complete a unit and then take a test? Exactly when are the quizzes administeres? Do I go by pages or lessons in daily scheduling? The lessons are confusing when it says lesson 1 on one page then it says lesson 1/2 on the next

>>>Well, do you have ABekas tests and quizzes or CLP's? You can usually tell by reading somewhere in the upper right or left what portion of pages the test covers. So, you'd probably take out a sheet of paper and list the # of quizzes, # of tests, and # of pages of work, and then divide that up into how many you need to do each day. You might put into there some amount of days that could be for review or catch-up work. You will also want to be sure you have writing days in there (which ABeka puts into their lesson plans). You don't want to do all the writing at once. This isn't necessarily so clear when you only have the ABeka workbook...(not sure why ABeka does that). But if you had the curriculum/lesson plans, you'd see they've divided up the writing projects over the entire year.>>>>

Any other questions I will try to help. :) I use the CLP kits - buying items separately, as well, just as you do. (I plan for my children to enroll with them in high school.)

Had another couple thoughts. =)

With the nature reader, what I do is this:

One semester is science, so on the other semester, I go through the nature reader. That way I can take more time with nature, delve into it, get library books on the different animals and insects. (On the non-science semester, I also do ABeka's health. CLP doesn't sell that, but I buy it from ABeka.)

Other than that, I usually go through 4 readers. (I also use ABeka readers.) So I have one reader for every 9 weeks to go through.

I don't understand much about scheduling since that is not important to me.

But, I'll tell you we always finish the subjects so here's what we do:

1. On any given day when we start the subject, I quickly check to see if a quiz or test is due. If so, do the quiz or test.

2. If not, we open the textbook where we left off. DD highlights as she reads.

3. In regards to A Beka Grammar we just do the pages until the lesson is over. The text clearly marks when lessons begin and end.

4. We do a separate writing assignment each day. Sometimes I use the A Beka grammar text and start in a writing section and work through it even though the grammar part we're on might be somewhere else in the book. Or either I use
Spectrum Writing and do one page. At any rate, I keep the writing portion to about 15 minutes or less.

I do no advance planning for anything. I am lucky in that my science lab is heavily stocked. But if I didn't have so much stuff, a little preparation might be needed here. And art is always my downfall. I have a gazillion art kits and I just pull out one of them a day. We don't do anything formal. I need to get in gear on that subject.

HTH

Thanks so much, ladies. Very helpful.

To answer a couple of questions

I do have the quizzes and tests for Abeka, not CLP.

The writing is called Writing with Power from CLP. Maybe its more of a handbook. Hoping to get that and Modern Curriculum Press Math in today or tomorrow

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Angela

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions