Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

homeschool tracker vs edutrack

homeschool tracker vs edutrack

I am looking at buying one of these organization tools. All the reviews I have read are 2-3 years old. Anybody have any updated info on either of these?

re: homeschool tracker vs edutrack

I'm a Homeschool Tracker person. I honestly can't compare to Edutrack though as I never really used it. I did look at it but didn't go with it for one reason or another. I do have HST and love it. It's well worth the one time price as far as I'm concerned.

HTH,
Paige
www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

I've tried both and found HST+ more user friendly for me. The one thing that tipped my decision to HST+ over Edu-Track though, was the fact that HST+ offers free upgrades for life, Edu-Track wanted you to pay for upgrades. There have been at least 10 upgrades to HST+ since I bought it and it just keeps getting better.

~Kel

I love Homeschool Tracker Plus! I have no experience with Edutrack though so I'm no help there.

Can you explain to me, please, how you use HST in your home? I mean, does it really help you plan out your school days/year? What are the benefits verses pen/paper approach? I'm debating this purchase and would love any insight. Thanks!

In HST Plus, I enter all the lessons into the lesson plan section as soon as I get the next book/worktext/etc. You can enter a whole year's worth of lessons in the lesson plan without having to assign a date or child. I even enter lesson plans for the kids' sports and music classes. Then each week I go down my list of lesson plans and "submit" lessons to the student assignment pages. Once all the lessons are submitted for the week, I can print out the assignment sheet for the week by kid. You can print it as a checklist for the student or in a calendar looking format. You can submit further into the future but I find that a week is the best for me because I may have a field trip or playdate come up that I'll want to schedule around. I keep track of attendance in the attendance section. I keep track of field trips in the field trip section. Then each day, (or at the end of the week if it's been a crazy week), I check off all the completed assignments, move any assignments that were rescheduled to their new due date and for quizzes and tests, I enter the scores and it calculates the grades.

Once a lesson plan for my older child is used (all the lessons have been submitted to the assignment grid), I archive it until my younger one gets there then I make it active again and it's ready to go--no re-entering of lessons. I've been using HST Plus for 4+ years and I really like it. At the end of the year, I print some reports (report card, etc.) and put them in the kids' files. I don't have to do any reporting for my state or keep track of any of this but I am a boxchecker by nature and I like having the records. DH likes that I keep things somewhat "official" too.

what agent99 said.

I have had a love/hate relationship over the years with HST+ but usually end up using it for at least part of the year. LOL

~Kel

Pretty-in-Pink,

What a good question to ask. Someone saying "I love this" and then really finding out exactly how they use and for how long can make a big difference in how much weight you give their opinion. :-)

I've been using HST+ for the past 3 years, I think. I owned it long before I ever used it consistently. I bought it long before I truly needed it or understood how it would best work in *our* home.

I use it to keep track of attendance, reading list and grades. I don't do lesson planning with it. There's nothing wrong with their lesson planning portion of the software. It's simply not a need that I have. I'll probably also use the Transcript portion of it starting this year as I have a 9th grader.

Praising Him,
Kim

ps I've never used EduTrack so I can't comment on it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions