Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

anyone use the new Notgrass America the Beautiful?

anyone use the new Notgrass America the Beautiful?

Looking at this for my 7th grader. I see it is 100.00. Is it worth it?

re: anyone use the new Notgrass America the Beautiful?

I am using it with my 8th grader and YES it is definately worth every penny! Can't wait to start in the Fall

I've look at this closely a few times now. It looks
very thorough, but a bit dry in parts.
I still love all the mapwork, extra activity ideas, etc..
I think it's worth the money.

Michelle32

Dry? really??

I did not think so at all. I love all the geography that is taught, especially land marks such as Niagra Falls. I think it's my favorite curriculum ever!

Abeka would be "dry" IMO

I don't think ALL of the ATB text is dry. Just some of it.
Some parts were very interesting. I agree that upper levels of Abeka history don't read well.
Ah...it's hard to find the perfect fit sometimes.
I'd buy ATB if we were doing American history this year though.

Michelle32

In my opinion it's worth every penny:) We haven't actually started yet. My ds will be in 7th grade this term and we'll be starting on July 11th. I've actually taken a lot of time to go through the texts and to make some teaching notes. My ds could use it independently, but I love teaching history....my major was in Colonial, legal, and antebellum history.....so this is right up my alley:)

The lessons are what I would call concise. It isn't a narrative/commentary style, but it isn't dry either. At the end of each lesson there are four or five assignments that the child can complete. They don't have to complete all of them, but they're not really difficult so a 7th grader should be able to do them all without any problems. I like the literature selections. They give the text a little more flavor. They correlate really well with the material in the texts. Amos Fortune is my favorite:)

Overall, I definitely recommend you give it a try:)

My 8th grade daughter will be using it this year. We haven't started yet, but I really like the looks of it!

Are you guys going to use the seperate book that is designed for 7th and 8th graders? How does that look?

I love the looks of it besides the fact it is not in color. I wish it was.

And the price, we are on SUCH a limited budget. And this is the last thing I need to get is History.

Thanks for the opinions!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions