Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HOD vs Sonlight

HOD vs Sonlight

I've eyed Sonlight for years, just never did it.
This year my plan was to do HOD LHTH with the 3 year old twins,BLHFHG for the 6 year old triplets and 7 year old, and CTC for the 9 and 11 year old, and Rev to Rev for the 14 year old.

I'm now second guessing this, because it seems like were always studying American History. I think my 9th grader has only had 3 years of World history.

Im looking at either doing
Core B+C for the triplets and 7 and 9 year old.
And then Core H for the 11 year old and 14 year old.
OR
Core B for the triplets and 7 year old,
And Core F for the 9 and 11 year old
And something else for the 14 year old(maybe MFW AHL?)

I cant decide on HOD or Sonlight.. What would you pick?
(we will be doing LHTH either way)

re: HOD vs Sonlight

We really did enjoy our two years of SL using P4/5 and K (whichever those are in their new nomenclature). However, after using HOD for one year for my 7/8 yo, I'd choose HOD. I don't regret using SL for those early years, but I'm so glad I switched.

Sonlight has a lot of reading. Too much, IMO. I'm not sure if my dd absorbed much from it. It seemed so disconnected, reading bits of so many books every day. HOD is so very different. The "core" ties together with the Bible, which is the center of it all, which is so very important to our family. A plus is that I don't lose my voice trying to read everything--it's just enough. Everything the author schedules has a definite purpose--there is no wasted time.

Most of all, I really want to wait to introduce tough topics until my dd is older. This means delaying world history. HOD has plenty of world history in the older guides--and the author has more planned in the future. Even some of the younger books of SL P4/5 had material that I felt was too over my dd's head or upsetting.

So, there's my opinion. :)

I also prefer HOD. It is purposeful, Biblical, fun, varied, and practical. With Sonlight, I grew weary of reading aloud and there weren't any hands-on projects. i like the variety with HOD. There is also only one manual, which was a big plus for us. By the time I got to core 4 I was not pleased with some of the titles. HOD's selection are much more in line with our family and Biblical values. If you want your oldest daughter to have world history instead, you can start with RTR. There is a thread on the HOD board about beefing up RTR for high school. My two high schoolers did MOH 2 and 3 this year. If your 14 year old did RTR and just read through MOH 2 during that part of the lessons, your child would be getting more history than most of us ever had. HOD has been great for our family.

I would say use HOD or if you want to mix it up then make up your own curricula, you know the subjects that need to be taught and everyone here can tell you the best of the best of what to use...you could do that for your oldest that way its something really new and would apply more to the childs interest...

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions