Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW ECC vs. Sonlight Core F

MFW ECC vs. Sonlight Core F

I have been looking at both Exploring Countries & Cultures and Sonlight's Eastern Hemisphere core and since I can't look at either physically to help me decide, I wondered if anyone can offer any comparisons or contrasts. I have not seen them likened to each other but I guess they seem to me to have similar subject matter. Again, I haven't actually seen either one. Any insight is much appreciated!!

re: MFW ECC vs. Sonlight Core F

Sonlight Core F is a study of the eastern hemisphere, while MFW ECC is a study of countries all around the world. We are Sonlighters here, and we love it. :) I'm not sure what ages you're children are, but IMO they would need to be at least 11 or an advanced 10 year old to do SL Core F. If they're younger, I'd go with ECC. Also, you can see samples of both at their websites. :)

This post was edited on Jun 26, 2011 11:03 AM

Thank you for your reply :) My dd will be 11 this summer and just finished Core 3+4. I plan to do Core F this coming year but ECC got my attention because of the price. My friend loved ECC and I'm intrigued by it but I have loved Sonlight so I'm having trouble deciding whether to take a chance on the unknown or stick with Sonlight since It's what I know.

Even though we have used and LOVED every SL Core---I am in agreement that Core F is better for older students. The new format for the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer pages is a LOT of work----very time consuming and IMO quite advanced. Especially for the average 11yo. If I had to to it over again, I would have saved CoreF with the EHE for about 8-9th grade. MFW ECC would be more appropriate for your dd's age level----but if you wanted to stick with SL I would do a different core first and save F until she is older.

Yeah, I just started using Core 3+4 (D+E) with my dd10 and ds8 (we school through the summer), and we're enjoying this core, but I frequently have to stop & explain things from our reading to ds8. Next year we're going to use a unit study as a filler before we move on to Core 5 (F.) My ds definitely needs to be older for that core.

Here's a suggestion if you can't make up your mind:

Do ECC and then just get some (or all) of the books from SL to use in lieu of Book Basket. MFW has that extensive booklist in the back of the TM, from which you can pick and choose to either get titles from the library, or to purchase. But there are a lot of MFW users who just buy SL books instead.

The other thing to keep in mind is that every book in MFW (both scheduled and in Book Basket) has been pre-read by the author, with notes included as to sensitive content, discussion of other religions, etc., along with approximate age-appropriateness of each book. This has helped me a lot when deciding what to order from the library.

You might spend some time browsing the ECC Archive forum at the MFW website, as well as the "Ideas" forum. Reading what others are doing/have done might be helpful in deciding whether you want to use it or not. (MFW user here, btw.)

ECC Archives:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=4

ECC Ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=15

I appreciate all the advice! I decided to go with ECC and make our reading lists from Sonlight's readers/RA's. Hopefully, it'll work out and I have to admit I'm excited to try something other than Sonlight, which I do love but which is sooooooo time consuming. Thanks again!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions