Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CLE vs Pathway readers

CLE vs Pathway readers

I know I have been posting a lot!! :O I am getting close to narrowing things down, and having a hard time making final decisions!!

We have done some Pathway and dd9 loves them. DD12 who is not a big reader does not like them -- too many questions and she doesn't like the "type" of questions. She is not all that into the stories either. She loves ABeka, but I want a little more "meat" amd don't really want to supplement if I don't need to.

I have seen CLE suggested and read some good things about it. I am just curious what their stories are like and how their WB compares to that of Pathway. TIA

re: CLE vs Pathway readers

anyone?? :O

I have only used CLE, but I will tell you my kids love, love, LOVE it! The stories are wholesome and interesting. The workbooks are challenging. My younger dd needed my help a lot at first but she quickly grew and became more capable. The thing I really like about the questions is that the kids have to do a lot of inferring. It really stretched their minds. I heard over and over this past school year..."Mommy, you have to read this." I loved that!

I used CLE gr 3 + 5 for dss in 4th + 6th. I thought it was good and liked what they covered. BUT, they really didn't retain anything from it.

The stories were fine and the materials covered in the LU's was good. We did skip over the memory verse work because of the Bible version and we were already doing other things for memorey work. This ended up leaving about half the books/lessons not used - just frustrating on my part. This skipping did not mean we skipped the parts where discussion was taking place and applying, so the learning was still there.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is what you are looking for in a reading curriculum and what materials might get that result.

K

I've just used CLE for my 1st grade daughter this past year, and she LOVED it. We also did not do the Bible memory work in it, but she loved the stories and the workbook had interesting exercises which made her think about the story from different aspects. (it also worked well with their LA program). The stories were very wholesome, interesting and very pertinent to kids at that age. My daughter is reading the reader now just for fun- we loved it!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions