Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Simply Charlotte Mason & Amblesideonline

Simply Charlotte Mason & Amblesideonline

Which do you think is easier to incorporate and find the books? I am specifically thinking about history/bible/lit.? Which do you think can be done more economically?

Also for a mom who has used MFW before, but has never gone this deep into using the Charlotte Mason method, what advice would you give? How would you start incorporating this method more? I know that it may be difficult to just jump in with both feet when neither I or my children have used this method that much in the past. (Well, over the past few years I have tried to have my son give narrations (he's 11) and it is like pulling teeth. I would try it for a season and then give up. After a while I would decide that narrations are important and we would try to get him to do them again. Then we would give up. Alas, I would hear about the benefits of narration, and decide to try it again. Only to quit again. He has such a difficult time even just narrating a short Aesop Fable.) Well, guess what I started doing again this week. You guessed it, we are working on those dreaded narrations again. What do you suggest I do to try to help my ds with the narration part of the method? I do know that narration is a BIG part of what CM is all about and I really want to be able to get those down. Any advice or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

re: Simply Charlotte Mason & Amblesideonline

I hear ya! I especially don't think I can narrate to model it, either.

Have you read this?

http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/narration/

Which do you think is easier to incorporate and find the books? I am specifically thinking about history/bible/lit.? Which do you think can be done more economically?

======================================================
Amblesideonline would definitely be cheaper and easier to find to books. . .most are public domain and available for free online.
SimplyCharlotteMason would be easier for combining multiple ages. . .and contains more historical fiction options (I love historical fiction)

If your kiddo(s) are having trouble narrativing, scale back to having them narrate a sentence or two after each paragraph till they're comfy with that. =)

Have you ever read Catherine Levison's books titled "A Charlotte Mason Education" and "More Charlotte Mason Education"? Each chapter of her books give a BRIEF summary of each component of a CM education... some would say TOO brief, but I think it's fine for jumping in and getting a good running start, without getting overwhelmed. She also has some real schedules (both her own and from the PNEU) that are helpful to give you an idea of what *real* CM schedule looks like.

Ambleside is pretty overwhelming for a beginner, but the website does have a lot of good information. You can read CM's own original writings (in modern language) there, too. In fact, that's the BEST source for understanding how CM really did things. Many of the books *about* CM that are available to us today give a different impression.... but I still think that Levison's books are the most PRACTICAL for quick implementation (the HOW), while giving a brief explanation of the WHY along the way.

Also, you may see a lot of what Marie did in MFW when you read Levison's books, too. I had read those books before I found MFW, but then when I re-read them after we'd been doing MFW for a while, I saw a LOT of the exact same things. So Levison's books can either help you understand a curriculum you're already using, or help you to practically implement your own.

SCM has a lot of great CM resources, and I like how fairly simply she has things set up. The name is appropriate -- SIMPLY Charlotte Mason. But it's not *quite* a true CM education either, because CM had her children studying both their home country's history AND world history simultaneously. SCM doesn't do that.... she leaves American to pop up chronologically like most other "classical" curricula available today. At least MFW (and HOD) spend a year or two covering American at an age-appropriate level before getting into chronological history. Although with the way SCM is set up, it's easy to jump into the history cycle wherever you are or need to be.

Thanks ladies for the advice and information. Actually Kayrenee, I just checked out one of Levison's books from my local library and had a little time to look at it. I will have to read it here soon. I do love reading the Ambleside Online's site. It is so informative as you said. It was after reading their site that I became convinced that I need to really work with my ds on his narrations. I have 2 more girls behind him that would profit from learning the narrative skill as well. My older dd seems to just get narration and not have any problem with it.

I do see how Marie tries to tie CM ideas into MFW but since we had been using a different English program, we were not getting the full benefits of it. I actually own ILL and PLL but after using a textbook like Rod and Staff , I am afraid that it would be just too difficult to turn back. Does Marie have any audio conference downloads on her site about CM education and how MFW incorporates it?

I really like the SCM site as well. I love the way the Bible is so laid out along with the history. I also love their lit. suggestions. They seem more age appropriate for my dc.

Well, I have a lot to think about and research. I was hoping to have all of my curriculum decisions made by now, but it is not going to happen. Thanks again!

"I do see how Marie tries to tie CM ideas into MFW but since we had been using a different English program, we were not getting the full benefits of it. I actually own ILL and PLL but after using a textbook like Rod and Staff , I am afraid that it would be just too difficult to turn back. Does Marie have any audio conference downloads on her site about CM education and how MFW incorporates it?"
------------------------------
Well, the Levison books made the lightbulb come on for ME as far as being able to *see* CM in the MFW curriculum. So I suggest going ahead and getting started on that reading. ;o)

They also have the conference talk titled "Combining Classical Education, Charlotte Mason and Unit Studies". Here's a link where you can listen online:

http://hche.org/listenOnline.jsp?id=33&SectionID=3

You might also spend some time browsing through the archive forum for Language Arts in MFW:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Here's a post I wrote one time about CM and MFW (with another post following it)... you'll see that SCM is mentioned in that thread as well:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9925&p=66798&hilit=Charlotte+Mason+question#p66798

Now you have lots to read and listen to over the weekend, to think and pray about. ;o)

Thanks Kayrenee for those helpful links. I will have to download them to my ipod so that I can listen to them while I clean my house tomorrow. I've heard David speak before (not in person) and really benefited from listening to him speak about his goals in parenting and schooling. I'll also check those links from the MFW's website that you posted. I was trying to decide if I wanted to return to MFW for CTG next year (this year we are using ECC), maybe listening to the downloaded seminar will help me make my decision. Thanks a lot!

Here's another thread that might be helpful (just to add to your already lengthy reading list, LOL).... It's about CM and Language Arts in MFW:

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10812&p=73607&hilit=Charlotte+Mason+question#p73607

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions