Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

IOWA, CAT Testing...Please tell me ALL you know

IOWA, CAT Testing...Please tell me ALL you know

I am wanting all information concerning IOWA, CAT and other testing. Some of my questions...

Where to buy?

Who can administer?

Is one test "better" than the other?

Cost? and anything else you might know.

I live in Colorado and am just wanting to have accurate information for myself and others I know that homeschool. I know this is the best place to get information!!!

Thank you all.

re: IOWA, CAT Testing...Please tell me ALL you know

The little I can contribute...

CAT - I ordered from Seton
http://www.setontesting.com/
parent can administer.

IOWA and SAT-10: I'm an approved tester through BJUP so I order from them. (approved tester just means I applied, and presented a copy of my college diploma showing a bachelor's degree, and watched the training DVD).

One thing to keep in mind for jr. high and high school: although the tests can be parent administered for normal record keeping (depending on state laws which will vary of course), you might wish to consider group testing to get a better feel for college entrance exams (ACT and the SAT), as well as being eligible for home school national honor society. The hs honor society national rules say the test scores can't be from parent administered test unless it is in group setting with unrelated children.)

and here is a wonderful resource to read through for early tests end of year testing
http://www.hslda.org/earlyyears/Testing.asp

and high school stuff
http://www.hslda.org/highschool/testing.asp

that's my incomplete contribution.

Standardized test alphabet soup:

CAT--California Achievement Test
CTBS TerraNova--Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills
ITBS--Iowa Test of Basic Skills
SAT--Stanford Achievement Test
*These are the tests administered to children kindergarten though high school, usually at the end of the year, sometimes in the beginning. The publishers of the ITBS and the SAT have specific requirements on who can administer them (many homeschoolers cannot). Also, according to Bayside School Services, which sells and scores the CAT and CTBS, the CAT/5 will no longer be available after this month and recommends that parents use the TerraNova, which can still be administered at home by parents.

SAT/ACT: Scholastic Aptitude Test and American College Test. These are college entrance exams and are strictly regulated, only given in groups, usually on school campuses. Students may take them as sophomores or juniors in high school; high scores may help them acquire scholarhips and whatnot.

We use CTBS test from Sycamore academy out in California. I like that you can test in April (results in June) or test in June (results in September). Cost is $59- I get in in two days since they ship it priority and have 2 weeks to send it back. It supose to be full batery test with everything in it. I believe IOWA test is a little bit more detailed, but this works well for elementary years for now.

I used the CAT/5 and bought it from familylearning.org. It has LA, math, science & social studies. I can do this at home.

here's an online version...

http://www.christianlibertypress.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TS-CAT02

I also do the the CAT5 because I can administer it. They have the full battery or the abbreviated version (2hrs instead of 5) which we are doing this yr.

I also get mine from FLO

I also do the CAT 5th Edition complete battery with my kids from FAmily Learning Org. It is 37.00 and the results usually come within 2 weeks. We are using them for our fourth year with them...great company.

Luv

Edited because I wrote the wrong test.

This post was edited on May 06, 2011 12:43 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions