Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

High school Civics/Am. Gov't.

High school Civics/Am. Gov't.

I have settled on Abeka for Economics.

I'm still researching one semester Am. Gov't./Civics possibilities.

What have you used that you really liked?

Susan

re: High school Civics/Am. Gov't.

BJUP. :-)

I've been looking at these for ds next yr:
Notgrass
Bluestocking Press
ACE

K

This post was edited on Apr 22, 2011 03:02 PM

I'm looking at the Abeka for Econ, too. Have you used before?

I'm considering the BJU Government on DVD for my ds - he needs the audio/visual and Cathy Duffy seems to like that one and she recommends the Abeka Econ.

I need a balance between some visual and self-paced so between the two this may work for us.
Heidi

I've been considereing BJU, so I'll keep that on the front burner. Never even thought about the DVD option. I'll check it out.

No, I haven't used Abeka Econ. before. Cathy Duffy had a good review on it, I read a good review of it online written by an economist, and Christian Liberty chooses it for their senior year Econ. class. I plan to use CLP tests with it. Much cheaper that way.

Susan

Queen Homeschool has a new government study also that looks nice. Here is the link:
http://www.queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html

I don't know if it's been available or not before, I've never seen it until I found it on their site. HTH!

A Noble Experiment: The History and Nature of the American Government by Tim Spickler, M.Ed.

On September 17, 1787, the delegates to the Philadelphia Convention signed the completed Constitution. Patterned after the ancient Roman Republic, with elements of Greek democracy and Enlightenment political philosophy, the Framers set in motion a form of government based on the premise that people can successfully rule themselves. What a radical concept in an eighteenth century world dominated by monarchs and tyrants!

Like the “holy experiment” of its Puritan predecessor, this “noble experiment” altered the course of history for oppressed peoples everywhere. Its ideals have been exported to the four corners of the earth. Millions live in freedom under its principles. Yet it remains an experiment because each succeeding generation must prove the hypothesis of successful self-government.

This high school government course explores the creation, implementation, and evolution of this experiment. Designed around the national civics standards, A Noble Experiment is a student-directed program using primary source documents and twenty-four DVD lessons. The student workbook is consumable and contains all primary source readings, required and optional student activities, and unit assessments to accompany the DVD lessons.
DVD Series and Student Workbook Set...........$96.95
Additional Student Workbook.............................. $16.95 (for a second student using this course)

Additional Needed Resource:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington DVD..................$14.95
This DVD is a required for A Noble Experiment. A small-town idealist, Jefferson Smith (James Stewart) answers the call to duty when he’s unexpectedly named to fill a vacant seat in the U.S. Senate. Determined to do some good, he sponsors a bill to create a national boy’s camp, unaware it threatens to undermine a graft scheme sponsored by his home state’s crooked political machine. Framed and threatened with expulsion, Jefferson takes to the Senate floor, where he attempts to prove his innocence in one of the most rousing climactic scenes in screen history.

i just googled the program i linked to "A Noble Experiment" and it is also sold by CBD and Beautiful Feet. You can see actual examples of the DVD's on CBD site but no reviews posted anywhere yet. HTH! Cheryl

Here is the CBD link:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=160036

I just looked at the video samples of A Noble Experiment online at CBD. Also was able to peek at the table of contents of the workbook.

I like what I see!! Somewhat pricey for a one semester course, however, since I'm spending very little on the Abeka Economics.
(buying book used and using CLP tests and answer key), maybe I can justify the total expense of Am. Gov't and Econ. combined!

Susan

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions