Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Building Spelling Skills from CLP vs. MCP Spelling Workout

Building Spelling Skills from CLP vs. MCP Spelling Workout

Which one do you think is better? Give your opinions...positive and negative.

Thanks
Tasha

re: Building Spelling Skills from CLP vs. MCP Spelling Workout

Never tried MCP but we are using CLP Building Spelling Skills for 2nd and 3rd and we love it. See my review on this board under Building Spelling Skills for more. :o)

All I can tell you is that we didn't like Building Spelling Skills. My DD strongly disliked the activities and I didn't care for the word lists (either too easy or included words that were not commonly used by a 2nd grader). I use Abeka's word lists because we are using their phonics but we still do our own thing with them.

You might check out www.spellingtime.com before purchasing spelling curriculum. It is free and will keep track of your child's progress. You can also modify it to include your own word lists. Great site.

We haven't tried MCP, but we use and love Building Spelling Skills... always have. I'm using it now with a 2nd grader and a 5th grader. I typed up a lengthy description of it for a friend one time. If I can find that, I'll post it here.

Thanks kayrenee, did you use Building Spelling Skills for 1st grade?

bumping for Kayrenee.

We also use Building Spelling Skills and I really like it.
It is a very straightforward, easy to use program.
My Dd came into this year not being a strong speller, but I think she has really improved since using this.
She even has come across several words in her pleasure reading, and recognized them as a spelling words. and she gets so excited, which is great to see. (Last year she was very frustrated.)

I'll admit, some of the words are a little unusual, and I would prefer that there was more repetition/review after a unit is done ( maybe like a cumulative test?) But overall, I still really like CLP spelling, and I will probably use it for my son once he is old enough.

foxvalley, is your ds in 1st grade? If not, did you use 1st grade in Building Spelling Skills?

Thanks
Tasha

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions