Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Has anyone heard of a program Classical Conversations

re: re: Has anyone heard of a program Classical Conversations

This program is an MLM type pyramid program, no matter how you try to spin it.

The money that you pay is not distributed among the director, facility, or tutors in a fair way at all. The director takes a huge chunk of the money - the tutors and the facility share the rest.

You will not hear bad things from current CC directors, they want your money. If you google CC and pyramid scheme or MLM you will get an eye-full.

This program costs a lot of money for tuition, the parent tutors are do not need to be educated in what they teach, so they may not be doing a better job at teaching your children than you could be doing at home for free.

I hate to see homeschoolers taking advantage of other homeschoolers. If you are a CC director, tutor, or parent, at least be honest about what the program really is.

To think that Classical Conversations is MLM is just about the most bizarre thing I've heard. Yes, CC gets money for each student in the program (the practicums they offer are free!). Yes, the director gets paid (for the amount of work ours does, she is underpaid, in my opinion), and yes, the tutors get paid (for the amount of work they do, they should) Class sizes are limited, and our program is packed full. I didn't know there was a cap or an end to a MLM program!! I'm sure that the intensity of the program varies from Director to Director, but I know that our director used CC materials in her home for years before our community began. And I'm not a tutor or director, just a parent. Yes, it is more expensive than some curriculums, but less than the full "dvd" type programs. The accountability is great. I have children in foundations only, foundations and essentials, and Challenge. The Challenge program has been intense for my daughter, but incredible in what she has learned. The Essentials program has the best grammar and writing skills that I've seen in 12 years of homeschooling. Foundations is a lot of memorization, but it has greatly improved my younger children's schooling all around. We enjoy the songs, maps and facts. My son (age 5) will hear a country on the news, perk up and run for a map. He can find so many places and is very proud for knowing them. With children nursery age-high school Senior, I have enjoyed CC more than any other curriculum or program I've done in the past 12 years.

I have looked into it a little bit, and I can tell right off the bat that it is not for us because...it is too much like SCHOOL.

There is a reason I homeschool! I don't want my kids cooped up in classrooms of age-segregated peers. I want to be their teacher - not send them to tutors. I want to determine my own scope and sequence, use whatever curriculum I want, and tweak it at will to suit the needs of each individual child. My "Wiggly Willy" son can sit on a balance ball for a chair and take breaks whenever he needs.

No - CC is definitely not for me, (or my kids.)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions