Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Has anyone heard of a program Classical Conversations

re: re: Has anyone heard of a program Classical Conversations

This program is an MLM type pyramid program, no matter how you try to spin it.

The money that you pay is not distributed among the director, facility, or tutors in a fair way at all. The director takes a huge chunk of the money - the tutors and the facility share the rest.

You will not hear bad things from current CC directors, they want your money. If you google CC and pyramid scheme or MLM you will get an eye-full.

This program costs a lot of money for tuition, the parent tutors are do not need to be educated in what they teach, so they may not be doing a better job at teaching your children than you could be doing at home for free.

I hate to see homeschoolers taking advantage of other homeschoolers. If you are a CC director, tutor, or parent, at least be honest about what the program really is.

To think that Classical Conversations is MLM is just about the most bizarre thing I've heard. Yes, CC gets money for each student in the program (the practicums they offer are free!). Yes, the director gets paid (for the amount of work ours does, she is underpaid, in my opinion), and yes, the tutors get paid (for the amount of work they do, they should) Class sizes are limited, and our program is packed full. I didn't know there was a cap or an end to a MLM program!! I'm sure that the intensity of the program varies from Director to Director, but I know that our director used CC materials in her home for years before our community began. And I'm not a tutor or director, just a parent. Yes, it is more expensive than some curriculums, but less than the full "dvd" type programs. The accountability is great. I have children in foundations only, foundations and essentials, and Challenge. The Challenge program has been intense for my daughter, but incredible in what she has learned. The Essentials program has the best grammar and writing skills that I've seen in 12 years of homeschooling. Foundations is a lot of memorization, but it has greatly improved my younger children's schooling all around. We enjoy the songs, maps and facts. My son (age 5) will hear a country on the news, perk up and run for a map. He can find so many places and is very proud for knowing them. With children nursery age-high school Senior, I have enjoyed CC more than any other curriculum or program I've done in the past 12 years.

I have looked into it a little bit, and I can tell right off the bat that it is not for us because...it is too much like SCHOOL.

There is a reason I homeschool! I don't want my kids cooped up in classrooms of age-segregated peers. I want to be their teacher - not send them to tutors. I want to determine my own scope and sequence, use whatever curriculum I want, and tweak it at will to suit the needs of each individual child. My "Wiggly Willy" son can sit on a balance ball for a chair and take breaks whenever he needs.

No - CC is definitely not for me, (or my kids.)

I've participated in CC for three years, once when my oldest was little and the last two years. I love the material. I didn't "get" it at first, but now that I'm older and a little wiser, I understand that its purpose. Foundations and Essentials are really wonderful programs.

The cons for us began to be too big to stay in it, however.

For one, it's too expensive. Far too expensive. Having both my children in Foundations and Essentials put a large strain on our finances. Our directer, bless her, let us pay her in segments, but still...it was far too much.

Two, the kids in my oldest daughter's class were always so excited to see one another that the entire class time was spent cracking jokes, and often at the expense of the learning time. I was paying for this! I'd often leave the class fuming. I'm sure this isn't always the case, but out of three classes, I experienced this in all of them with my eldest's classes. (And isn't this also one of the downfalls of public education? Why emulate this in a homeschool setting?)

Also, as much as I liked Foundations and Essentials, once we got to Challenge (holy cow at the price for that!) the curriculum sort of fell off for me. It didn't seem cohesive. The kids spend years on a cycle and then suddenly they're not doing that anymore. Instead of building on the pegs of History we've learned for so long, they're suddenly just reading random novels. It didn't matter that we'd just left Cycle 1:Ancients last year, now we're reading novels about those times, even though our sibling is still in the next cycle. It was a mess.

I still love Foundations and Essentials, and we're planning on using the memory work at home and a variation of that memory work with my dialectic child.

So in summary, I guess you could say I have a love/love/hate relationship with CC. I do wish it was made more accessible to families who are unable to pay that high price.

This post was edited on Jan 13, 2015 01:21 AM

My dd entered CC at the Challenge A ( middle school)level and I put my 10 year old in Foundations and Essentials at that time. I had deliberately never considered it before for reasons mentioned above--too schoolish,too controlling etc.
However what led me to consider it was my middle schooler was bored and unmotivated at home and responded poorly to creative attempts on my part to engage her. My husband thought she should be in school. Cc proved to be a great compromise. My dd did well with the outside accountability, the time management and deadlines, although there was a learning curve. I feel like her confidence as a student grew. The Challenge workload is intense. It takes management but can be done in 5 or 6 hours a day and honestly is probably comparable to what high school kids do in PS only they have homework!
Do I miss running the show? Absolutely, but it's a trade off. Interestingly, my 4th grader who did Foundations and Essentials thrived. He made lots of friends and soaked in the material despite us using it only as a supplement. We made lots of kid specific modifications to the Essentials program and his writing improved by leaps and bounds. I use the program as it fits us and don't feel any pressure from the group to do otherwise.----

Funny, I was *just* talking about CC with a friend *yesterday*. She loves it.

I don't know much about it, so I googled it. I even googled it on youtube. There are songs on there. (I expect these are the songs mentioned up post?)

Lol. There is no way I would remember a 6 minute song with a tune like that!

I guess I only know enough about it to be dangerous, but I think the emphasis is on the names/dates instead of lives/events. I lean far more to the lives/events end of the spectrum.

The writing part of the course she was talking about peaks my interest, though.

P.S. (Inquiring minds want to know): Can children who memorize *all that* recall choice bits of information to actually talk about an event?

I watched a couple youtubes with small children reciting/singing impressive amounts of facts (albeit some of it without clarity). I was wondering, does CC teach children about people/events or is it really sorta just an oral timeline?

I guess I only know enough about it to be dangerous, but I think the emphasis is on the names/dates instead of lives/events. I lean far more to the lives/events end of the spectrum.
~~~~~~~~~~

I know nothing about CC, but if that is what it is like I would hate it with a passion. I had 2 history teachers and both were horrid. All the focused on was taking notes all day long on names, dates and events. There was no story and no connection with life. I would hope CC is more than that.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions