Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Please share... why you Do Not belong to a homeschool group

Please share... why you Do Not belong to a homeschool group

I'm really interested in seeing why others do not pursue groups.

I personally am not finding a homeschool group in our area to really suit what I was hoping I'd find.

re: Please share... why you Do Not belong to a homeschool group

We are in a rural area and there simply isn't a group here. I'd have to drive an hour each way.

Even if we had a group here, I'm not sure I'd join, at least not at this point. My children are young (oldest is in 3rd grade) so I feel that our time is best spent at home since they still require quite a bit of interaction with me for their schoolwork.

My dc get to spend time with other children at church and baseball, and I feel that's plenty.

This post was edited on Mar 12, 2011 01:18 PM

We tried a homeschool group formed by members of our church. We just didn't fit. I was the youngest mom with the oldest kids. The moms would sit at a table and chat about things (work, quitting work to homeschool, their big houses, complaining about their kids, etc), things that really didn't pertain to me. They were very competitive too. "Well, my kid learned to read at three." "My kid has this and that and the other thing extra curricular." I'm not competing, my kids aren't in sports or going to community college classes at 14 or whatever. When we would go around the room and introduce ourselves and what texts we use, I was the odd one out and they snobbishly made it clear that our method of homeschooling isn't accepted.

*/shrug/* Our church is full of very rich people and we just don't fit.

I guess there is another group in our area but I have no interest in being put in that position again.

--Chris

Well, I do belong to a group, but it one that I formed and basically handpicked the members. Yes, I'm a snob, LOL.

Most of our local groups also have yahoo groups. While those groups were great for information, I just couldn't stand the discussions, the holier-than-thou arguing, the nitpicking on other religions, the fights over who is more organic, the unsolicited reviews telling us how awful we would be to let our kids see this movie or read that book. I was getting a feeling that people wanted validation through agreement and got offended when you felt, like I do, that is fine if it works for you. I know some people can filter that out, but I just had a hard time separating those posts from the poster when I would meet the people. So, I just belong to a local announcements yahoo group that all the local groups post to so I get the activities with none of the other, IMO, drivel.

I have one in our area, and I did join for part of a year. I am really not into going to meetings and co-ops etc...so the only reason I tried it out was for field trips. We went on one trip and that was it. I didn't feel comfortable, no one even talked to us, and it just didn't seem worth it to me....the time, rearranging school day schedules etc. when we could have just taken our own family field trip.

And that is what we do. I like to just do "our own thing". I like being free and open with our time and schedule.

All of the groups around here want a statement of faith I'm not willing to provide.

Kel

I'm not a social animal. Okay, there's more to it than that...

I want to homeschool my dd, so I am not interested in co-ops (for now), though I do pay for a piano teacher, even though I could do that, too.

We did recently start going one afternoon a week to the gym at church. It is free play time that my daughter really enjoys. It is a very small group--like 5 moms with their kids. All of us moms are between 40 and 50 years in age. I've started referring it to "mental therapy" time. It works for us. The other ladies have known each other for years (my dd is one of the youngest), but they have cheerfully accepted me.

Other than that, I am just not interested in field trip groups or co-ops.

Oh, I had that same bad experience with the local yahoo homeschool group. Yikes!

In my and my dd's first year of hs, we did a series of field trips with a small subgroup of the yahoo group. It was great, but it fizzled out somehow. Shrug. Not sure what happened with that. Maybe they just excluded me. That could be...oh, well!

Years, ago, I tried joining the "official" county group. I'm just not a good "groupy." LOL

our name is on a roster for one, but we don't do anything with them. I use it as a resource for letting me know what hs opportunities there are in the community. I am not required to *do* anything, and if I were, then I would remove my name.

I am just not a social person by nature. And I like to be home with my children, like a pp said, hsing them. Not sclepping them all over the county for all sorts of activities.

Oh, another thing, many of the activities that they do organize are not really feasible for us to do anyway, financially. For example, the group sent out an email for a museum trip next week. The cost: $8/child, $12/adult. For me, that works out to $52 for the 1 1/2 tour, plus I have to pack lunch for all 6 of us, and to be honest, for $52 dollars and the hassle of packing a lunch, I'd rather stay home. And that is one of the *cheaper* activities.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions