Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

BJU Math 2???

BJU Math 2???

What is the difference between BJU math 2, 2nd and 3rd edition? I am planning to use BJU next year and noticed that the 2nd edition is quite a bit cheaper than the 3rd edition. Also can I use the 2nd edition TM with the 3rd edition student book?
And for those who use or have usefed BJU 2, how long does it take to complete a day's work?

Thank you,
Mia

re: BJU Math 2???

Does anyone know?

We've only used the 2nd edition before. The video teaching is about 30 minutes long total, but she has them periodically "pausing the program" in order to use their manipulatives or do something with the teaching. I would say it takes about 45 min.-one hour total to complete a daily lesson, and that's including review, as long as your student is focused in doing the work. With the little ones, sometimes you need to make sure they are truly interacting with the video teaching and staying on task.

I'm not sure what exactly the differences are in the 3rd edition except that I think it has more built in review. With the 2nd edition, using the Reviews book is important, IMO. Mrs. Walker teaches the newer edition, and she's very good with the kids if you decide to go the video route. If you don't go that route, then the TM is critical to the teaching. BJU math is meant to be directly taught and demonstrated. It's not meant to be used by the student independently. In fact, the teacher usually walks them through the front of the worktext page, with the independent work on the back. The Reviews book page is usually basic review on the front with math fact drill on the back. Every so often there is a cumulative review.

Nancy

Nancy

Thank you Nancy.
I am not planning to use the dvds yet, but I do enjoy teaching my little one, that's one of the reasons I chose this curriculum. I just don't know if I can use the TM (2nd edition) with the 3rd edition student book.

I just don't know if I can use the TM (2nd edition) with the 3rd edition student book.
---------
Personally, I wouldn't attempt it. I personally found the older edition TM's difficult to navigate easily, thus the draw to video teaching, but the newer edition TM's seem to be much more colorful and easy to follow. Plus, when I was comparing the newer 5th grade edition to the old, I noticed that they changed quite a bit of the chapter orders around and, well, it seemed quite a bit different in the TOC...probably in a good way.

Have you taken a look at the samples on CBD? They have both the old and new editions. BJU has pretty good samples as well. I just think it would be a lot of work on your part to try to weed through the older edition TM to try to find the correlating teaching that you're looking for, however, at the 2nd grade level, I would imagine this would be a little more doable, as you really don't need the TM much for answers. I think it's worth it to spend the little bit extra for the newer TM. Have you checked ebay or even the swap here? You could probably pick one up used for a good deal.

Nancy

I have used BJU Math 2 third edition and LOVED it. I agree that you cannot mix 2nd edition TM and 3rd edition worktext. IMO the 3rd edition TM is WELL worth the money. It has a CD and you can use that to print off manipulatives and visuals and extra worksheets.

I would call BJu and they will very happily answer specific question regarding differences in the edition.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions