Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Apples and Pears spelling

Apples and Pears spelling

Has anyone used this program for spelling? It seems like a simplified version of AAS...do you find this to be true? I am interested in using it with DD5 who is reading well. I am hoping this would cover spelling and enough phonics to go over anything she missed when she took off in reading. I hate to continue with straight phonics as it bores her to tears and she is a very intuitive reader. Opinions and advice please! Thank you!

re: Apples and Pears spelling

Bump

Anybody? I would love to hear more about this, too.
RuthAnn

I have never heard of it - but based on your thoughts, it sounds interesting. I couldn't find it anywhere online except from somewhere in the UK - so I'd be wondering if it's made for the UK, in which case, the spellings would be different, wouldn't they?

I have seen people talk about it on the welltrainedmind forum, but I'm still not sure exactly how it works. I do believe that it is a product of the UK.

RuthAnn

I used this with some kids I babysat.

It's for older students- middle school age. Its not for students in K. And it's not really a full spelling program. The idea is to give students a boost in spelling. In just a few minutes per day, with fun short exercises, to make them aware of some of the basic rules of spelling.

It's not an in depth or drill based program. It's meant as a fun abd useful follow up to spelling progrAms... If I recall correctly, for about 5-8th grades.

:)

I read about A and P on well trained mind forum as well. I just wanted to see if anyone on here had experience with it. On prometheantrust.com they have a link to US for printing here in the States. I do not know if this takes care of any spelling variations but I will let you know. I bit the bullet and ordered the first level today. I am interested to see it. I will say that I looked at the online samples for reading and I had to chuckle at a sentence that said something like "Mum has had rum."

Please make sure to give us a review when you get it. I was also thinking about ordering level A for my 8 year old. Saw lots of good reviews on the WTM board. But I haven't been brave enough to press the purchase button yet!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions