Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Trail Guide to Learning - Anyone have any info?

Trail Guide to Learning - Anyone have any info?

Has anyone used this or heard about it from someone who has?

This is an all-inclusive program put out by GeoMatters who makes Galloping the Globe and Trail Guide to Geography. It's a complete program, lit-based, CM/Ruth Beechick style with a heavy geography emphasis (I have a thing for geography). I saw it at convention last year and was very intrigued and have been looking at it again - although I am happy with HOD right now I'm still always looking at other things...

But, I haven't been able to find a peep on any forums or reviews from anyone who's used it.

Monique

re: Trail Guide to Learning - Anyone have any info?

I have a friend that uses it and she loves it. They did the first series this year and I think she plans to go with the next "Paths of ..." next year.

If we were a unit study family, this would be at the top of my list.

Praising Him,
Kim

I have a friend that used it for the first half of this year, and then dropped it because it was too light.

I spent an hour looking over the text. It seemed wonderful at first, but I came to the same conclusion... it is too light. I would need to supplement too many areas.

Hello! We are using Trail Guide to Learning Paths of Exploration this year. My DD is in 6th and my DS is in 3rd. The kids have enjoyed it for the most part and I have as well. This curriculum is very well laid out, easy to follow, and in depth. We have liked the reading selections but my kids want to read them faster than the schedule...easily done but leads to some back tracking in the printed material. We will finish up with Paths this year but will not move on to the next segment...Paths of Settlement. I found that the unit style of learning just does not fit my kids. They see projects and "extras" as busy work. We did lapbooks for the first two segments, Columbus and Jamestown, but it was a repeat of information needed to fill out the student notebook. My kids love read alouds and connecting information from previous books and looking on maps but they also love to have a schedule that they can follow on their own to get their work done. I really thought they would enjoy the nature study aspect of this curriculum but they have not. They like reading about the animals but compiling the information about habitat and enviroment into written and drawn form just takes the wind out of their sails. I really wanted this to work for us and I like it more than my kids. All in all if you enjoy unit study this is a great curriculum. Not as intense as Sonlight but still in depth and quite interesting in all its aspects. HTH
ZippyMom

Seems like I saw a review on Cathy Duffy's website.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions