Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Life Of Fred

Life Of Fred

Has anybody used this successfully used Life of Fred for highschool? We are currently using it along with Saxon and of course the children love it compared to Saxon!!!! If I use it for highschool along with the companion will it work? Is there enough for all 4 years of HS? Love to hear from you all as kids are wanting to quit doing Saxon and LOF.

Melaine

re: Life Of Fred

I want to know too.!! Ds is going to start LOF Pre-Algebra soon and I want to know if LOF Highschool is enough or if we should do MUS. Whatever I start for Algebra I think it would be good to stick with the same publisher.
When I emailed questions though awhile back Mr. Schmidt did say, not in detail, that students were doing well on testing.

Julie in SC

Any other Life of Fred opinions? Thanks everybody

How math minded are you? How math minded are dc? When getting into the higher grades there is IMO a shortness on the "HOW" (the explanation) There is penty of "WHY".
Even for our math minded family (dh, dc, not Mom :( )
It is not that it wasn't understood, but that there wasn't sufficient explanation and different methods had to be tried before being able to find the way 'Fred' intended. It was SO frustrating. (Thank God for Khan Academy!!) I wouldn't recommend it for a stand alone curric. Along side as a reader, yes, alone NO. JMHO

Joyanna

We've used Fred through Adv Alg and now Geometry. While ds used it for Beginning Alg alone, *he* felt there wasn't enough practice. I thought there should be more problems set up like one would see in math class or on a standardized test. Often for tests they are not word problems, but equations set up on a page. They often don't match what ds did in Fred.

I love Fred, but don't feel it is complete for academia. It might be fine if one was just going to use what one learned in the world for real life problems.

We use it with TT and ds thinks it's the best of both worlds. There are two approaches to proving the proofs and he likes that. [I'm sure it would drive some kids crazy]

HTH,
Spetzi

We used it for PreAlgebra last year (the chemistry one) and I will say the side benefit was that when you hit chemistry - you've already learned how to balance those equations! (which helped me a lot now since my 11th grader is working through chemistry so my mind has been refreshed and ready to go on the balancing part). My dd is currently used the Algebra with the companion - and I can see some of the arguments given thus far - but not all kids need lots of problems to get the concept; my dd would be one of those kids. You need to read not only written narration/story, but there are actual pieces of the concepts taught in the answers, too. I will say that it was frustrating this week on her assignments because she was working through a set of reviews and the answers were just answers - no explanation on how to get the answer! I think it is a great program but perhaps it would be better used alongside something else not too labor intensive (TT perhaps but having now used mathrelief's Algebra II I think you could use that - not too little, not too much). For a lack of the right words, one thing I noticed this week was this - my dd who is using Alg I was working through these review problems and needed guidance so I had her sit at the table on side and my ds (just finishing up mathrelief Alg. II) sit on the other and I figured we'd all work together (figuring ds had more recent exposure to the math, right?). Well, he was confused and frustrated with all the "thought" required to do the math - he follows formulas, rules, step by step problems - not ones that made him think through problem (I think similarly to him) whereas my dd can see things more abstract (she is probably going to looooovvveee geometry). He could do the problems, eventually, when I reworded it in a more methodical way but there was no way this type of learning would work for him. So, I think you really need to look at how your child processes the learning material - not just their learning style (visual/audio).
Heidi

They are coming out with levels for the younger set. I can't wait to get those for my dd (she's 9). She has gotten so much benefit from Addition the Fun way, and other books of that nature. My hope is Life of Fred would be great for her since she grasps math so well in story form. If it works for her I see no reason why I would not use it as "the only" math she does. I think each child is wired differently. Almost like you don't know unless you try it, ya know?

Okay so I think my dc would NOT agree to do 2 math curriculums a year and I wouldn't want to pay for it either. So from what everyone has said I gather Life of Fred is very good to learning how to apply the concepts in real life which is what *I* think is most important, but at the same time I would want him to do well on standarized tests. I also think it is very important for every child to kow how to apply math in a real world setting instead of a list of problems. That is why I don't remember math- I had no idea how to apply it to real life.
So ds is really liking Life of Fred. I don't know whether to go on to LOF Algebra through Highschool with him and maybe he can test on the concepts using ACT or SAT preps or something.
Or I was thinking of just doing MUS for Highschool.
These reviews make it difficult because I don't want to get halfway through Algebra and think I have made a mistake and now play catch up.

Julie in SC

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions