Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

CTGE/Pathway Questions

CTGE/Pathway Questions

I'm considering CTGE for next year. I've also been looking at R&S, but I really like how cute CTGE is and only one page a day. R&S just seems boring to me :p although, I can tell it's thorough. I don't mind workbook/textbook: I'd be fine with either.

- Is CTGE REALLY just as good?
- When I look at R&S Spelling (grade 7 and up), I'm impressed by their spelling lists. How is CTGE's spelling? I think I'm a bit afraid it just sticks to farm vocabulary...
- Respelling...hmm. What are your thoughts?
- How do you like the phonics part? Especially the books 'Learning through sounds'. We've been using CLE LTR quite happily, but I like the looks and price of Pathway better.
- How do you like the workbooks that go along with the readers?
-Has anyone been using all grades of CTGE or Pathway?

Thank you :)

re: CTGE/Pathway Questions

---"- Is CTGE REALLY just as good?"---

I don't have any experience with R&S English but CtGE is really good. I use it with my three youngest kids (the three oldest were too old for it by the time I found it) and they will continue with the program & daily copywork as their language arts through grade 8.

---"- When I look at R&S Spelling (grade 7 and up), I'm impressed by their spelling lists. How is CTGE's spelling? I think I'm a bit afraid it just sticks to farm vocabulary..."---

Not sure what you mean. CtGE doesn't have spelling in it.

---"- Respelling...hmm. What are your thoughts?"---

Has been very helpful. My girls have been able to pick it up with no problems.

---"- How do you like the phonics part? Especially the books 'Learning through sounds'."---

Like any phonics program (imo) it drags on and on and on. I only used a bit of it with one child then we moved back to the method I used with my older girls- learning to read from real books. If you feel you need a phonics program it is good and solid and keeps the child's attention. It's also scripted if you feel more comfortable with something like that.

---"- How do you like the workbooks that go along with the readers?"---

My girls & I hated the workbooks. They just seemed to drag the story out and out and out until it wasn't interesting anymore. We were quick to drop them. Instead the girls would read the chapter for the day and copy anywhere from one sentence to one paragraph depending on their age and ability. When they finished with that they would come and tell me what the story was about.

---"-Has anyone been using all grades of CTGE or Pathway? "---

We used Pathway 1 - 3 then moved onto real books. We've completed CtGE grades 1, 2 & 5 and will be using them through grade 8.

hth
--Chris

sorry my answer seems a bit rushed my grandson is here and he's quite the adventurer

This post was edited on Feb 28, 2011 03:33 PM

Thank you for taking your time to answer :)

No spelling? I'm surprised! Oh well, It's not really a problem.

Do you use the extra practice sheets, or just the workbook? And what about the respelling flashcards?

---"Do you use the extra practice sheets, or just the workbook? And what about the respelling flashcards?"---

I don't use anything extra. The girls haven't needed it. If I saw they were having trouble I would use the extra worksheets. Respelling is easily practiced by using the actual dictionary. :o)

--Chris

It's "Climbing to Good English," which means grammar and writing, not "Climbing to Good Spelling," lol. I don't know if the publisher also has a spelling series or not.

Most traditional school textbook publishers don't include spelling in their English materials.

Guess I'm just used to it because CLE has it all covered.

We've made up our minds, it will be CTGE for us next year :)

I've ordered both CTGE and Pathway for my youngest gal. She's 8, but is a late reader due to a speech disorder. I've focused so hard on *just* phonics with her for so long, I think maybe I've done her a disservice by not using "real" readers because I assumed she would have trouble with them. However, when my friend loaned me hers the other day to try out, my dd took to it like a duck to water! Apparently she does better putting the words in context of a story than in isolation. Which is great because it gives her confidence. BUT, I also know it's because she's *relying* on context, which in the long run will hurt her. So I'll definitely have her do the workbooks, too. My plan is to have her read the stories through first, *before* doing the workbook pages, so that she can actually ENJOY the stories rather than taking it just a page or two at a time for the purpose of completing workbook pages.

I've also got All About Spelling here which will cover the spelling, but I'm not sure quite sure when to start that. I'm not sure if it'll be confusing or redundant while continuing phonics in the other workbooks at the same time, so I'll just wait and see on that.

I've got Sequential Spelling tucked in the back of my mind for her, as well.

w/ the readers, there is typically a page to do before the reading which is "Working With Words." This has a vocab component to it, a word study (includes phonics skills), and it also will use some "new" words. These help them learn the words and then when you do the reading, it puts them into context.

They read and then it's the comprehension part. The lower grade workbooks have a Learning Through Sounds page which continues some phonics skills.

I think it's a balanced program and have used it w/ success. I've also used AAS for spelling because AAS covers things a bit differently. Again, these go well together, covering things from a different perspective/way.

k

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions