Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Lesson plans and assigment sheets

Lesson plans and assigment sheets

I would like to create daily lesson plans so I know who does what. But then I would also like to give my kids a daily assignment sheet so they can just check off what they did instead of nagging me going " Mom, what do we do next?"( drives me nuts!) Is there an easy way to do this? A good program or notebook? Or something?

re: Lesson plans and assigment sheets

i've been using a lesson planner from R+S for a couple of yrs now. I just break the box up by 2-3 dc. I then fill in their weekly assingment sheets (that I made in Excel). They can mark these off as they go. Sometimes they use stickers, but usually they just check it off.

It's worked well. I can make a general plan but it's also still flexible.

if you want a copy of my grid, drop me a line kbarrup at yahoo dot com and i'll forward it to you. I also have some various planners that i designed to use w/ my 4 dc, if you're interested.

k

I'm sure there is an easier way, but I've been doing the same thing so long - it's very easy for me:

I buy a lesson plan book to be my "master copy" and fill it in one week at a time. I list subjects across the top and days down the side - then divide each square into two sections (for two kids). I try to put a page number and what it its about (p.43 - helping verbs) so later I can see what they were working on. It also has a copy of our schedule, a study plan for the year, and a book list. I keep these every year and toss most everything else. I keep up with "days" and write in test scores. I have nine books lined up in a file drawer - one for each year we have homeschooled.

I ALSO print out a weekly student assignment sheet that I made using word - it's just a simple table - to give to each ds that lists page numbers or assignments only. This sheet it tossed, it is just for them to check off what they have done.

Often, when I get discouraged, I look back at my lesson plan books and see all that we have done and WOW! It always encourages me. I write in field trips, movies, all the extras. I used to keep one manilla envelope with writing samples, ticket stubs, programs from events, etc. I don't anymore - but should.

I have one friend that keeps up with it all with a neat computer program, but I'm old school.......I still like paper!

Hi..we use a weekly excel spreadsheet. Along the left side are all the subjects LA Arts, Math, etc. and then a separate line for each of the separate assignments: Sequential Spelling, R & S Grammar, etc. There is a column for each day of the week (we have a 4 day schedule) and then a box on each line under each day. Before the day starts, I fill in the page numbers, assignment numbers, in each of the boxes in pencil. The kids know to start at the top and work their way down. I am the one to check the boxes (after grading, reviewing, etc.).

On the schedule I color code (using the excel format options) those items that are done in the afternoon vs. morning, etc. Items that are only done twice a week only have 2 boxes (T, TH).

For us, we don't fill in the schedule for the week in advance..it gets too frustrating to find that you are behind, etc. If time is short and we have to cut the day short..I simply draw al line through the boxes that we are unable to complete.

I use a section at the bottom to write notes about items competed, trouble spots and items that need to be purchased. I save these weekly sheets in a notebook for future reference.

Good Luck!

one more resource to look into

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/

I use Homeschool Tracker, the free version.

I just needed it for lesson plans, so did not need all of the bells and whistles that the paid version has.

It is so easy for lesson planning and prints out a nice paper, either weekly or daily. I would print this out for DS and but it on his bulletin board. Exact pages to read, exact worksheet to do it. I also loved it for myself for younger DS since I didn't always remember on that day when I wanted to do. But having it all planned out and then only look at the screen to see what we were going to that day.

Loved that! Although I still use HST for my planning, since we use workboxes, I no longer print out the papers.

I noticed someone mentioned donnayoung.org. This website has excellent weekly planners. Each of my children has a weekly assignment sheet and will work through each days worth of assignments. This has worked really well for us. It takes me about 30 minutes on Sunday to make out the assignment sheet, then no one is asking during the week, "What do I do next?". They know what is expected! Hope that helps.

I have been loving this editable pdf "homework" checklist:

http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/botr/botr_052_19-19.pdf

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions