Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: I'm sick to death of MFW ECC. What would you do?

I'm sick to death of MFW ECC. What would you do?

I don't know it it's me, or do others just get sick of it after a while? I'm longing to do other things with my dd's right now but ECC sucks so much time and energy out of our school day that everything else gets rushed through or ignored. I know, I don't need anything else, but there's so much out there that I want to try.

I have ACE CW/LIT for both of them, but it sits on a shelf. I have a ton of FIAR books that I'm just dying to dive into with them. And I have some science and health I want to dive into. My original plan was to finish ECC and then do some of the other stuff for the summer months since we do school year round except for June. But I'm dreading continuing with ECC and wondering if stopping now and taking a break may renew my rapidly deteriorating enthusiasm for homeschooling. We just finished week 22. 12 more weeks to go (big sigh!).

Should I stop now and maybe finish the 12 weeks over the summer? Ugh... I don't know. If I do that I'll be in no mood to start CTC in the fall, so maybe I just need to press on.

This post was edited on Feb 05, 2011 10:58 AM

What ages are your dc? And what exactly isn't working? The entire program or just certain parts & do your dc dread ECC as well?

ncmom2boys

We are also using ECC, and although I really like the focus of the whole program, I can kind of see where you are coming from. In our case, our household is so busy that I am seeing that in the future it would be better to have each child work on their own in textbooks, ACE, or something similar. As much as I would love to be a unit study kind of person, I just have a difficult time pulling it off. Unlike you, we are only on week 9, because we did take a break from it for several weeks. I have some textbooks sitting around the house as an alternative to the history and science provided in ECC but I have not decided if we will incorporate them next year or quit ECC and start them this year. Much of me is wanting to forge ahead with ECC and wait to make the big change all over to textbooks next year. I am sorry that I am not much of a help to you. I do think that being that you are so far along in ECC, it would not hurt you to take a break with it for the time being and pick back up with it later if that is what you wanted to do.

ncmom2boys,

I guess it's not that's there's anything that's not working. It's just that I've grown weary of it. I've hated the Properties of Ecosystems book since week 1. It's just too darn advanced for a 1st and 3rd grader, and it's plain boring. No, the dd's don't dread our ECC work at all. It's just me.

Mommaj4, Maybe it's just the lit style; like you've mentioned. I've struggled with this in the past. I want to love it and I do think it's a wonderful program. I just don't like doing it. Maybe CTC will be more enjoyable and I won't grow weary of it. I can hope. I've already purchased it for next year, so we WILL be doing it! I do long for the simplicity of textbooks though.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I totally agree with you, ECC is way too much for 1st and 3rd grade. (Have you done Adventures already?) I would put ECC away or continue lightly with the science and Bible portion only. ECC imho is very, very meaty. But I do think it is intended for 4th graders and up. Of course, youngers can tag along, but this program has lots of info to handle at such a young age. My guys were younger when we did ECC as well. I completely understand where you are coming from!

ncmom2boys

Thanks ncmom2boys. Hmmm.... I really struggled with how young they are when I purchased ECC for this year. Does that mean CTG will be too much for them next year? They are very advanced readers and they do get a lot out of their ECC studies, especially the geography and Bible portion, but the Science goes right over their heads. Maybe I should just ditch the Science and continue with the Geography and Bible.

So, did you do CTG the following year with your dc's?

I did not do CTG much to my utter dismay now. I just recently returned to MFW after a couple of years away. That *for me* was a major mistake. I never should have left. We are in our 5th week of RtR. It's wonderful. Plus I get to keep my dss together with our work.

I think CTG might be too much for your dc next year. I would encourage you to call the MFW office to ask for advice before you decide for sure though.

Have you thought about either taking a break from ECC and picking it up later? Or finishing ECC and taking a break from MFW for a semester and then starting CtG in January of 2012?

I'm sorry, please remind me did you use MFW Adventures?

ncmom2boys

We just took a 2 week break and did the 3 R's and watched a couple of dvds. We will jump back in next week. We are only on week 17 though. You are so close to finishing. If you don't like the POE book, then just use the other book and related library books. (We just started health a couple weeks ago, too. I am just having my son (9) read through it.) If I needed to streamline ECC, I would probably keep up with the Bible portion, Living World for science/library books, and geography game adding countries as we move along. I've thought about it. I'm just taking it one day at a time right now. I have CTG for next year already, too. I hear CTG is a completely different feel, so I'm looking forward to that. Hang in there, but take a week or two off if it will help you.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions