Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

High School Abeka Chemistry with lab DVD or SOS chemistry?

High School Abeka Chemistry with lab DVD or SOS chemistry?

I am trying to decide what to use for my dd's Chemistry next year. I am looking at Abeka Chemistry books with the DVD lab demos, instead of the DVD school, so I can use it with my other dc. I have used Abeka for several subjects and are familiar with it. We have never used SOS; I am looking at it because of price. I am open to other options also. I wouls like to hear from other who have used it the good and the bad. Thank you.

re: High School Abeka Chemistry with lab DVD or SOS chemistry?

I haven't used the chemistry for SOS, but we did use SOS science for 6th - 8th, and then tried biology for 4 weeks.
The 8th was beginning to get hard because of the math (some physical science), and dd and I struggled to get thru the end of the year.
There is no TM w/ SOS, just the answers in the Teacher's SOS, so we had no help there.

There is not much DVD stuff in SOS lessons. Just an occasional video clip here and there. Most of the directions for the math were written, even in the SOS math courses. =(

Maybe someone else has actually used SOS for chemistry, and can tell you more.

I'm all ears on this one too! I am really interested in using Abeka Chem with the lab DVDs too, but I'm also looking at using Apologia because I'm afraid of running into not understanding something while using Abeka since I hear Apologia explains things so well. My dd used the Abeka Physical Science with DVDs and it was her VERY favorite year of science!!!! I should have sprung for the cost of the Abeka Bio with lab DVD, but the price at the time scared me off----I probably ended up spending more on other sciences when Apologia didn't work for her. I'm just afraid of how hard Chemistry and Physics from Abeka would be to use without the DVD academy---which I don't want to use.

4 wildberries, maybe you could buy a used old edition of Apologia on ebay or Amazon to have as backup.
The older edition is just as good as the new IMO, but there is less color. The text is revised too, of course, but we used the old edition Physical, and had no problem.
And of course, if you or your dd has a question, you can always email Apologia. I do it all the time, and save all my emails, lol.
The first half of Biology was so much new info for me!
You can also call, and if the teacher you need is in class, they'll call you back.

Ketan Trivedi, your post here is against forum rules and is therefore considered Spam.

From the rules:

-- If you sell a certain curriculum product, or are somehow connected, you may not discuss that curriculum or its competitor's products. It's a conflict of interest and dishonest to pretend to be neutral when you are not.

-- If you are a homeschooling publisher, you may not post about your product. The proper way to advertise your product is through the advertising channels available at the site.

We'll be looking closely at Abeka's Chem course w/DVDs when we get there, as dd's not going to do Apologia. She's doing Apologia Bio right now, but wants to do Abeka Physical next year (which we should've done before Bio but didn't). If she likes their Physical course, then I imagine we'll stay with it for Chem as well.

SOS = We generally prefer DVD courses over computer courses when "farming out" certain subjects, and I also don't like the teacher-student setup of SOS. Dh had used an SOS science course several years ago to help him refresh his memory for a college CLEP test. That was fine, but that's because he was doing it on his own w/o a "teacher" involved. I don't think I'd like using the whole thing the way it's set up. Plus I don't want to have to deal with computer glitches. We have a standing policy here not to have to rely on the computer to make any required subjects to happen.

We have used both the Abeka Biology and Chemistry DVD. We did the lesson DVD's that incorporated the labs. However you can buy just the Lab DVD and i heard they are the same.

Very in depth, close up, lab book to go with it is great. I think you would be please.

Where are those HSR mods??

Anyways...

I was just looking at A Beka's chemistry DL video just today. It's a new edition, and the video sample teacher looks like he makes things pretty fun for the class. My kids all stopped what they were doing to watch the experiment that he was doing with the class and thought it was VERY cool when he dumped the liquid nitrogen out on the floor to "dispose" of it (it evaporates instantly), which created a fog that crept down the student isles. That's probably what we'll do for chemistry when we're ready.

I too am having my oldest do their Physical Science next year, instead of the chemistry (like Kayrenee ;0). My dd has completed ACE biology already, but she could really stand to learn the concepts in physical science first, I think, which is also a nice intro to chem/physics. I also intend to combine my oldest two for these subjects, killing two birds with one stone cost-wise. ;) I'm hoping it will work well with the physical science next year, as I give this a trial run with the two of them. I guess we'll see.

Either way, I'd definitely use the DL video format for these classes from 10th on up (physical could probably go either way comfortably), unless you are good with science. There's a lot of math in A Beka high school science from what I have observed, and those teachers provide a lot more than just lab experiments. I really like the improvements they seem to be making with their newer editions and the teaching involved. It's still in the classroom, but it seems more intersting and dynamic than before.

Also, I would not recommend SOS high school science. We started out with their biology and found it very difficult to follow and understand. Didn't like it at all. Perhaps the lifepacs would have been better?

Nancy

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions