Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math in Focus: The Singapore Approache

Math in Focus: The Singapore Approache

I plan to buy math curriculum for my 2nd grader and Kindergartener. I heard lots good review about singapore math. But I'm confused which one to buy? The standard edition, the primary edition, or Math in Focus: The Singapore Approache?

Has anyone used any of those books? Can you tell me how do you like it? Many thanks.

re: Math in Focus: The Singapore Approache

We use Standards edition. My daughter is in first grade if that helps. It is a good math program...although she struggled a lot when it came to adding/subtracting where the solution was between 11 and 20 because Singapore's method is very different than most traditional math programs. However we persevered and she is really starting to get it. :)

We have always used the primary edition, but I have not looked over the other editions.

I stumbled across MATH-IN-FOCUS, as well (Rainbow Resource has a very detailed review, as does Cathey Duffy's site). I was confused, too, trying to decide between Singapore Primary Math (US), or Teaching Textbooks, or Math-In-Focus. OR keep with Abeka Math that my kids used last year at private school and did so well (couldn't afford tuition this next school year, so I've gone back to homeschooling!).

So I ordered and compared all (figuring I could sell or return the ones we don't want or like). The two I love the best are MATH-IN-FOCUS and Teaching Textbooks.

Here's why:

Math-In-Focus Teacher's manuals are unbelievable. By far, THE BEST instructions for non-mathy moms (like me!). I am actually learning right along with my daughter and am finally "getting" math (as is she!). We're talking 3rd grade here, folks! I do have to instruct her but it's very easy - the teacher's guide tells you what to say & do AND show's you the student's pages (and answers), as well. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Wish all teacher's manuals were this easy to follow, understand and use.

Math-In-Focus student textbooks and workbooks are laid out very nice, as well, and like I said, my daughter now has "ah-ha" moments every day. Instead of simply memorizing math facts, she now understand the reasoning behind it (as am I), which makes it much more fun (for her AND me!).

The 2nd math curriculum I like is Teaching Textbooks (which is actually what I'm letting my 7-year old son use, for now, anyway). He usually requires constant supervision, and is easily distracted. He does not work well independently. UNTIL NOW, that is, thanks to Teaching Textbooks. He thinks he is "playing" math on the computer, but he's actually doing his math lessons for the day. It is all computerized (he has a workbook that he fills out in pencil). He watches the lecture on the computer, then he does his workbook lesson, then he reviews it again online (goes thru the lesson again), typing in his answers to the problems (he could probably skip the workbook writing and just do his answers on the computer, but for now I want him to do it). He would have to use a scratch pad or notebook to work out some of the questions, so he may as well do it in the TT Student workbook.

He LOVES math (think's he's playing a computer game!), and is learning to work independently. Obviously it frees up my time, and I'm not doing the lesson. But what I don't like, is that I'm not doing the lesson or learning myself along with him. Like I said I'm not mathy, but love to learning, and am doing so with Math-In-Focus.

Whew! Sorry for such a long post. Short answer is: IF YOU are a non-mathy mom and get frustrated or don't understand the math you're teaching, you will probably love Math-In-Focus. The teacher's guide makes it so easy to understand.

However, if you're a non-mathy mom and don't like teaching math, and don't have the desire to learn it, OR don't have the time and want your child to work independently, then you'll love Teaching Textbooks.

I prefered both over Abeka Math and Singapore Primary Math (US editions).

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions