Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math: Abeka vs Horizons

Math: Abeka vs Horizons

Which moves at a faster pace? Can either be used without the TM, at least for the first couple grades? Which does a better job teaching math facts? I like all the other stuff that's added in, but I especially want a strong focus on math facts and basic math concepts.

I'm mostly concerned with levels K - 3, as I plan to use Saxon for grades 4 and up.

re: Math: Abeka vs Horizons

I have never found Horizons TM to be helpful except as an answer key. They claim the program is not complete w/o the TM, but I can't use it. [Two of my kids used Horizons and were prepared for higher math so I think it is complete.]

I LOVE higher el Horizons. Gr 1 can be sort of tedious (so much addition because that's what they are working on) so I don't love it, but I used it.

I like that it covers the material efficiently. DC like the colorful workbooks and variety of problems. It seems to be effective.

I've not used Abeka.

Spetzi

If you plan on using Saxon after 3rd grade, I'll suggest using Abeka math, I call it Saxon with color. :) The similarity to Saxon was also confirmed by Art Reed, Author of "Using John Saxon's Math". Abeka might move a little faster, but their spiraling methods are similar. Horizon on the other hand, uses more of a Mastery approach where one subject is covered in a unit and then seen again a few units later.

Hope this helps, my plans are the same as yours Abeka to Saxon in 4th grade.

Thanks, Ladies. I have been pouring over samples for days and still was unable to make up my mind. They look so similar. So I decided to let my ds have a look and get his opinion. He is very bored with his math (R & S) and says he hates math, though he seems to be much more math-minded than his older siblings. I LOVE Rod & Staff, but think maybe it is moving too slowly for him. I've also noticed that he takes much longer to do his work when he has a whole page of the same kind of problems than when he has several different things to do. I think he's bored, so he dilly-dallies. That's why I've decided to switch him to a spiral math that moves faster. After looking over both Abeka and Horizons samples, ds chose Abeka. Placed the order last night, so hopefully we will be able to get started on Monday.

I have been debating between these two math programs as well. I am wondering whether one requires more teacher presentation than the other? I like the content of both programs, but hoping to find something that doesn't require a lot of time from me. Any thoughts?

Which moves at a faster pace? Can either be used without the TM, at least for the first couple grades? Which does a better job teaching math facts? I like all the other stuff that's added in, but I especially want a strong focus on math facts and basic math concepts.

I assume we are still discussing Abeka vs. Horizon Math here. I am not sure which moves faster. (they really are different) You could use Abeka without the teacher's manual, but the TM is a good resource for the Math fact mastery, you also need the TM for some of the worksheet questions that you'll need to verbalize to the kids.

I've used Horizons K, 1st and 2nd. Never used the TM's except as an answer key. I can't compare it to Abeka, but I do think it's complete and will prepare your dc for Saxon 5/4 quite well. My dd has always liked the colorful workbooks and the variety of problems to solve each day.

I have used Horizons for K, 1st and 2nd and have really liked the program. I started out not using the TM at all for 1st grade, and then I noticed that I was not doing some very important things that the TM instructed me to do, such as drilling math facts. I had only been using the worksheets. We are now halfway through second grade I can see why they say the TM is a required part of the program. For about fifteen minutes at the beginning of the math lesson, I spend time with my son doing things such as drilling math facts, doing speed drill worksheets, and reviewing previous concepts and teaching new ones with my dry erase board. There is also practice with a clock, money and supplemental worksheets.

I have heard a lot of people say they don't use the TM, but I think you would be missing about 25-50% of the program without it. Also, it is much faster to grade the worksheets when you have an answer key!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions