Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Saxon Algebra 1-How much review in beginning?

Saxon Algebra 1-How much review in beginning?

My son in 8th right now is doing Saxon 1/2 and wants to go to a private christian school for high school next school year, but we learned they have their 9th graders doing Algebra 2. He was disappointed and doesn't want to have to go back with the 8th graders to do Algebra 1. I did not realize we were behind!!!! Anyway he is willing to work holidays, weekends and summer vacation to finish up Saxon 1/2 and Saxon 1 and be ready to enter 9th in Algebra 2 next school year!! I was wondering how much review is in Saxon Algebra 1 and if we could possibly just skip the review since there would be no break between 1/2 to 1.

Anybody try this before?

Thanks a lot!

Lillie

re: Saxon Algebra 1-How much review in beginning?

Let me assure you that your ds is not behind. That some schools push algebra earlier than others doesn't mean all that much. Really. Why an 8th grader needs to take algebra 1 is beyond me.

What you could have your ds do is take the Algebra 1 tests until he doesn't pass with at least 80% (after he completes Alg. ½, of course). Then he would back up five lessons (I think that's right) in the text and start from there.

Is he doing really well in Algebra 1/2? I've never looked at the Saxon curriculum specifically in this regard, but pre-algebra is generally something that you can skip if you're good at math. I'd just ditch it now and start in algebra.

Actually, the school district where I grew up decided while I was in the 7th grade to start offering Algebra 1 to 8th graders. All of us that first year had just taken regular 7th grade math, but we did fine in Algebra 1. Only those who were good in math took it, of course, but I'm guessing your son is mathematically inclined or you wouldn't be considering this.

I personally wouldn't skip anything.

I agree with Ellie. I think it's ridiculous how there's such a push on these kids as of lately to be "ahead" academically...with all the new state standards and all emerging it's ugly head. I truly feel sorry for those kids who are not mature enough to handle that kind of pressure so soon and lack the abstract reasoning skills that Algebra 2 will require of them in 9th grade. You are not behind, but rather THEY are in a race to be ahead. I would say the majority of kids still take Algebra 1 in 9th grade, no matter what the program, so your ds shouldn't feel bad if he takes the Alg. 1 next year. I'm sure your ds wouldn't be the only transfer student not ready for Algebra 2 in 9th grade. But if it's really important to him, maybe it will be a good motivator for summer school in order to "catch up"? I certainly wouldn't skip anything, though, especially with a program like Saxon.

Nancy

Just wanted to offer you some moral support by letting you know that I have a 10th grader and a 9th grader both doing ONLY Pre-Algebra this year.

I brought them home from PS almost 3 years ago now, and we had some back-tracking to do. I would much rather have mastery in skill areas, than being 'on par' with societies 'schedule'. It's just not worth it in the long run. Now granted, I would PREFER they both be in at least Algebra 1 by now, but I am meeting their needs, not mine. KWIM?

:)

I took Algebra in 8th grade. That was 30+ years ago. But, only the advanced students did that. Now, the norm is still to start Algebra in 9th grade, but there are a few private schools that do it in 8th.

Anyway, I'd suggest that you try to advance quickly even though they say not to skip anything. Then, ask the school to do a placement test to see if your son can place into the Algebra 2 class so he is with his classmates instead of with the 8th graders.

Sounds like he is eager and willing to do what it takes to advance quickly. Weekends, 2 lessons/day, summer, etc.

Saxon has review throughout the book.

Here is an idea. While he is doing his Saxon 1/2, use a different Algebra program at the same time. He could use the Key To Algebra or Life of Fred Algebra or the Algebra Survival Guide at the same time. And he could complete one of those by the end of this year. Then, he'd be ready for Algebra 2.

I think it would be too much to double up on Saxon, but he could do the Saxon book he's doing now and just add a more condensed Algebra course on the side while he's doing it.

Life of Fred, Key To Algebra and the Algebra Survival Guide are all good programs, but don't have all the review of Saxon and therefore can be done in about half the time.

If you just add one of those on the side to what he is currently doing, he'll be ready for Algebra 2 next year. No reason he can't do both at the same time, even though that isn't the normal way to do it.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions