Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: MFW 1st and 2nd editions? (RtR)

MFW 1st and 2nd editions? (RtR)

Can someone please tell me if the 1st edition of RtR is spiral bound or in a 3 ring binder? Someone has a tm to sell, but the pic she sent has the TM in a binder instead of comb/spiral bound....

ncmom2boys

This post was edited on Dec 20, 2010 08:16 AM

5 years ago I did RTR.

fast forward to now: I've cycled back around to RTR. I am still using my manual from 5 years ago and all of the same books from then. I decided to just buy the student sheets and save myself the work!

It is completely compatible to get the student pages and use older manual and it will be soooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier on you and it's not a cost issue. With old manual there were some pages you had to make multiple copies of and some on cardstock...... and I don't have to copy. I love it! works fantastic!

Depending on how old your manual is there is potential to run into minor page differences on some books. This is all I know about:
I think SOTW had a minor update in the last 5 years.
my manual is old enough it refers to an out of print book called How Your Body Works (usborne). That was replaced by 1st encyclopedia of Human Body. It is really easy to mix and match that. I ended up getting a copy of the 1st Ency. book just to see if it is easy to use with older manual. just find the same topic in the table of content. No problem.

and don't worry if you get a different CD on Beethoven. It all works out if you just enjoy composers and music. It's ok on that.

If you buy used, try your best to get the books that match that manual, or expect a little bit of page number shuffle or mix/match on Beethoven.

-crystal

Crystal,

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I needed to know. I need to decide which is the best way for me to go.

And thanks for your recommendation on EX1850...I think this is probably the best solution for me.

Would you be able to give me an idea of where I should stop in MOH and then begin RtR? I'm trying to figure it out rather than having a bunch of overlapping....

ncmom2boys

"Would you be able to give me an idea of where I should stop in MOH and then begin RtR? I'm trying to figure it out rather than having a bunch of overlapping...."

sorry. I don't know.
You might check the table of contents of MOH against the one in the RTR sample?

http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/rtrsample.pdf

-crystal

I have an old copy of MOH 1, let me check....

Okay, it looks like MFW RTR picks up at about Lesson 91 in MOH 1. Hannibal and the elephants were covered in RTR.

Okay, this is weird. I'm seeing *references* to the Romans in a couple of chapters prior to Lesson 91, but I'm not seeing a lesson that explains where the Romans came from or how Rome was founded. Huh. Oh no, wait..... there's a lesson about the Roman Republic way back in Lesson 70, with a whole bunch of other Old Testament/Greeks stuff in between Lsn. 70 and Lsn. 91. She starts Lsn 70 off by saying "Several lessons back, we studied the founding of the city of Rome...."

So I'm digging through the book and here it is! Lesson 43, "The City of Rome".

Hhmm.... Definitely a different order than MFW.

KayRenee,
-------------------------------------------------
Okay, it looks like MFW RTR picks up at about Lesson 91 in MOH 1. Hannibal and the elephants were covered in RTR.

Okay, this is weird. I'm seeing *references* to the Romans in a couple of chapters prior to Lesson 91, but I'm not seeing a lesson that explains where the Romans came from or how Rome was founded. Huh. Oh no, wait..... there's a lesson about the Roman Republic way back in Lesson 70, with a whole bunch of other Old Testament/Greeks stuff in between Lsn. 70 and Lsn. 91. She starts Lsn 70 off by saying "Several lessons back, we studied the founding of the city of Rome...."
---------------------------------------------------

So, which lesson would you stop with? Obviously you can see why I'm confused. lol

ncmom2boys

So I'm digging through the book and here it is! Lesson 43, "The City of Rome".

Hhmm.... Definitely a different order than MFW.

"So, which lesson would you stop with? Obviously you can see why I'm confused. lol"
-----------------------------------

Well, my kids were a lot younger when we did MOH 1. That's what we were doing when I found MFW, so I just dropped MOH cold turkey and basically "started over" with MFW. I don't remember exactly which lesson it was, but maybe about 1/3 of the way through the book? Maybe farther, 'cause I know we did a LOT of Old Testament stuff before finding MFW and that's why we skipped CTG back then. My oldest dd was sick of that time period, and my other two were too young to have an opinion on the matter. LOL

This post was edited on Nov 22, 2010 08:16 AM

I edited my post, hopefully someone can answer my question. =)

Can someone please tell me if the 1st edition of RtR is spiral bound or in a 3 ring binder? Someone has a tm to sell, but the pic she sent has the TM in a binder instead of comb/spiral bound....

ncmom2boys

This post was edited on Dec 20, 2010 08:17 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions