Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Singapore Maths vs Abeka/Bob Jones -K

Singapore Maths vs Abeka/Bob Jones -K

Hello,

What is the difference in the way maths is taught between Singapore & Abeka?

Do either programs ever focus on word problems and thinking outside the box. I know I was really good at maths at school...on paper...but as soon as I got to doing uni maths I was lost. I couldn't do maths in a real sense.

So what I am saying is that doing lots of drills and only learning maths one way was not good for me & I want to ensure my kid learns maths in a more practical sense as well as on paper.

I would be very interested in seeing which program people think would suit us best based on the above.
Many thanks!!!

re: Singapore Maths vs Abeka/Bob Jones -K

Abeka is a good math program- but- it doesn't teach tricks at all. It's just drill, drill, and more drill. I like it for K and 1st grade.

It sounds like Singapore is what you are looking for, but please do take a look at Math Mammoth light blue series. I am using that next year with my daughter. It has conceptual and trucks and interesting ways I'd doing things plus includes the drill for review. It takes a lot less steps to teach it. With Singapore the Homeschool teacher must use the IG and two different textbooks, and directions from each textbook. So she must teach basically one main lesson plus two mini lessons every day, from various books
With Math mammoth the directions and examples are all in the child's book. It allows for some self teaching or if the mom teaches, she is teaching from one book- the one sitting in front if her child.

You can get it on CD, or get a printed copy from lulu.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look at Mammoth!

Abeka math is very drill oriented. Singapore is big on mental math, word problem, concepts, and they also drill and teach a variety of ways to solve problems.

I agree with what others have said about Singapore. If you're a fairly math-minded mom, I don't think you'll need the HIG. I only needed to have on hand the answer keys for the primary levels. You can always order them later if you find you'd like to have help in teaching.

We have chosen A Beka math every year so far up to 7th grade. A Beka is a spiral math program, very colorful, and geared for the college bound kiddo.

Everyday there are multiple word problems in addition to the drill mentioned by the other posters. When selecting a math program, all I care about is learning applied math. I agree with you that just knowing how to manipulate symbols on paper does not mean one is good in math.

I totally disagree that A Beka should be described as drill, drill, drill. It is for the fast paced kiddo who can work well with multiple types of problems on one page. Yes, there are speed drills almost daily, but these are very short lasting only a few minutes. A typical 2nd grade worksheet might have addition, subtraction, 2 or 3 word problems, measurement problems, a money problem, and a clock problem. The pages are colorful and perfect for the easily distracted kiddo, in my opinion.

We are a heavy science family. All family members are expected to obtain upper level graduate degrees at a minimum. So math, next to science, is our most important subject. But having said that, there are many great math curriculum besides A Beka. Look through as many as you can before making a decision. Look at a few grade levels ahead as well so you can make sure the curriculum will continue to meet your kiddos' needs.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions