Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

comparison & differences between MFW RtR and HOD RtR?

comparison & differences between MFW RtR and HOD RtR?

For middle schoolers. Which do you prefer and why?

ncmom2boys

re: comparison & differences between MFW RtR and HOD RtR?

I'm going to TRY to be brief right now, but I think you already know how I feel about the solid biblical worldview teaching in MFW. I *LOVE* how they do it especially in RTR (which was our favorite year, and my dd's favorite time changed from the Middle Ages to Ancient Rome/New Testament as a result of MFW), studying the New Testament, coming of Christ, the spread of missions and the church simultaneously alongside Ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, the Reformation.... how one thing was a direct result of the previous. You truly see how God "built the world" after the coming of Christ, not to mention how He "prepared the world" FOR the coming of Christ! (Re: the setup of the Ancient Rome, the Caesars who were in charge, the building of roads and bridges for the spread of the Gospel, etc.)

I've read complaints about Streams, but I really think that's minor because Streams isn't read from cover to cover and is used primarily for Mom to summarize information, for advanced student assignments, and sometimes for a picture or a map to work off of in notebooking. IOW, Streams is a *resource*, not a main spine.

I've not seen an HOD RTR manual, but if it's anything like the other HOD manuals, I just don't like that layout at ALL. I prefer the weekly grid in MFW manuals, the flexibility to see at a glance how we need to plan our week and move things around if needed, as well as the supply lists already done for me. Not to mention Book Basket and all the book and video options there!

One more major difference is that HOD uses MOH 3 (I assume as a spine?), which we don't care for that much. My oldest dd read that volume on her own, and I read parts of it and we've also had volumes 1 and 2, and we disagree with some of the things the author says. One thing I love about MFW (in general) is that *because* they use multiple types of resources and have you do some footwork to find information from those diff resources (vs. being "scripted"), you're getting both factual information AND interpretation from differing perspectives (rather than just one author's perspective), which allows dh and I to fill in some of those details with our OWN perspective and theological viewpoints. When we tried to use HOD, I found myself having to skip a LOT, and many of those "boxes" on the daily 2-page spread went to waste, so to speak.

Anyway, I need to get lunch before we head out the door for piano. I can answer more specific questions later if needed, but I've posted about MFW RTR in particular quite a bit on this board because we got sooooo much out of it!

Just now read the HOD vs. WP thread and started to reply there, but then realized I was getting too much into MFW discussion, and since your specific MOH question is one of the reasons I named for preferring MFW over HOD, here it is:

I wanted to point out that there's a LOT of important information between volumes 1 and 3 of MOH which Carrie just doesn't cover (or just barely touches on) in HOD. We had HOD CTC and it moves at a faster pace than MFW CTG. At first I thought I'd like that about it, but it felt like we were missing too much and hyper-focusing too much on other "little" details that don't matter when you're doing an elementary level overview of the Old Testament and ancient secular history.

HOD CTC took longer than MFW CTG for a day's lessons, too... even without the science part of it. There were just too many little *detailed* things to do. Anyway, we didn't use the science from HOD even though that was ONE of the reasons I bought CTC.... because they study animals in that year, and my middle dd really wanted to study animals. But we started doing it from HOD lessons, and I felt that many of the assignments she had us doing for Zoology were wayyyyyy too "young" for my dd that the program was intended for. She got more out of it by just doing it on her own (the Zoo book) w/out HOD lesson plans.

One thing I was attracted to with HOD as well, was the *beautiful* notebooking pages she offers. However, they felt too confining, too "contrived" or something. Too *specific*. There really wasn't any room for individual creativity or flexibility when completing the assignments, unless you count my drawing of the ark as compared to your drawing of the ark. I much prefer MFW's method of notebooking (but I didn't realize how much until after trying HOD's).

But back to MOH and that in-between time period.... Because Carrie has CTC moving through time pretty fast, she gets into the time of Christ and Ancient Rome at the end of CTC, which MFW doesn't cover until RTR so that they can give it more attention (see my above post about New Testament and Ancient Rome). MFW CTG only goes up to the Greeks, which is *prior* to Christ's coming. Then begins RTR with the founding of Rome, and immediately afterwards, Christ's coming. You spend 13 weeks on this time period and then move on to the Middle Ages. The little bit of Time of Christ/Ancient Rome that's covered toward the end of HOD CTC doesn't do it justice, IMO.

Naturally, then, HOD would begin RTR later in time than MFW does.... Notice the difference in their full names: MFW Rome to Reformation. HOD Resurrection to Reformation. So yes, that would explain why Carrie doesn't use volume 2 of MOH. She's condensed that entire one-year study of MOH 2 into a section at the END of Creation to Christ, and then some at the beginning of RTR. She splits and condenses it.

I know that probably doesn't make sense unless you've actually used or thoroughly looked through both programs, but it does answer the question of why she doesn't use MOH 2. (And also explains another reason why I prefer MFW over HOD!)

Okay, I'm sitting here sipping my afternoon coffee...half asleep. Please bear with me. =)

In your opinion then, if I were to try HOD RtR would I need to cover MOH vol 2 first or not?

I am looking at these programs because while I like MOH, we love history generally speaking and right now we are missing umph! (I have no idea how you spell umph! lol)

Thoughts? I appreciate them!

ncmom2boys

"In your opinion then, if I were to try HOD RtR would I need to cover MOH vol 2 first or not?"
---------------------------

Do you mean jumping straight from MOH 1 to HOD RTR? Well, I know that all of the material covered in MOH 1 is covered in CTC. But I'm not sure where Carrie splits MOH 2 between CTC and RTR, so you'd probably have to ask that on the HOD board. I just know that she's condensed MOH 2 *content* into the end of CTC and the beginning of RTR, but I'm not sure how or where exactly. I no longer have the CTC manual, and I haven't seen the RTR manual.

And I just realized my previous answers weren't brief at all. Sheesh! Sorry about that! I was in a hurry but still managed to say a lot. LOL

I can't compare them, but I'd recommend looking at the table of contents of HOD CTC and RTR and the book packages for RTR. There are a variety of resources (Peril & Peace, The Story of the Middle Ages, Monks & Mystics, Famous Men of the Middle Ages) for what looks like the first 14 weeks of RTR before jumping into MOH 3. There are also additional resources such as What in the World Vol. 2 and Draw & Write Through History that fill in some of this time period.

I'm using CTC this year so I can't comment on specifics of RTR, just what I see based on samples on the website. This is my first time using HOD and it has been a fantastic fit for my 5th grade ds.

Totally personal opinion from a non-MFW user, I looked at RTR from both and personally prefer the HOD book selections. I'm just not a fan of SOTW in general or Augustus Caesar's World for my particular child.

tollhousemom

I have used MFW RtR and I am going to use HOD Resurrection to Reformation next time. I prefer the science and projects and love the notebooking pages. It feels more laid out to me. However, Rome to Resurrection was my favorite MFW year. We did have a good, productive year. MFW is a great company. You have two great choices.

This post was edited on Nov 09, 2010 08:04 AM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions