Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Are Sonlight and Winter Promise similar?

Are Sonlight and Winter Promise similar?

Just curious. I like the idea of Sonlight but it's very expensive and I keep hearing over and over how it's a TON of reading and hard to keep up with the pace. I've been eyeballing WP for NEXT year (I hope I'm not the only one making plans already, lol), and I'd love to try and combine my kids who will be advanced 2nd and 5th by then. There are a couple programs at WP that would work to do this, but I was wondering if WP is like SL in that there's tons of reading, activities and you're doing school 7+ hours a day. Thoughts?

re: Are Sonlight and Winter Promise similar?

I can't say if.these two are similar or not but I am a new user of SL. It has only added 1 1/2- 2hours to our day. We are using a complete full set of other curriculum items each day as well and we are done in less than 5 hours everyday. I hope SL doesn't run into 7-8 hour days:..good grief. I'm going to watch the responses on here and go check out WP.

I've done copious amounts of research on WP. I have never thought we could handle sonlight, but I love lit approaches. I have a very dear friend (homeschooling mom of 9) who adores WP and she says she spends about an hour and a half on WP a day 4 days a week.

I'm really looking forward to doing WP next year.

We are on our fourth year with WP. View the activities as a buffet for the most part. It is 1-1.5 hours most days.

I would say yes but WinterPromise is better, IMO. WinterPromise has a more balanced reading schedule and more hands on activities (but not too many. We would pick and choose), both have great books, similar layout to their guides. Sonlight has better customer service, that's about the only advantage I've found. We've used several programs from both.

--Erin

They do have many similarities since they are both lit based programs. I've used both.

I've even written about them -- http://www.squidoo.com/WPvsSL.

:-) Jimmie

Thanks for all the responses. Jimmie, I'll be sure to check out your link!!

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions