Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

HomeLife Academy: New Requirement for Diploma - Should This Bother Me?

HomeLife Academy: New Requirement for Diploma - Should This Bother Me?

The decision was made this month by my umbrella school (HomeLife Academy) that the ACT or SAT must be taken in order to receive a high school diploma. This is for all those graduating 2011/2012 year and beyond.

I don't know whether this should bother me or not. Of course, on one hand, they can require anything they please in order to grant someone a diploma from their institution.

I was wondering if public schools have this requirement: that you must take the ACT or SAT in order to receive a diploma. I took the SAT and ACT but was not required to do so in order to receive my diploma.

My children will be starting high school soon and may take these tests when the time comes anyway, but I am wondering if I want to be bound by their requirement.

By the way, in my state, 95% of homeschoolers use umbrella schools; it is just much easier to do it that way. So far, I have really liked HomeLife. They seemed to trust the parents that they will make the right decisions for their child's education.

So what do you think? Would this new requirement bother you?

re: HomeLife Academy: New Requirement for Diploma - Should This Bother Me?

Hmmm. I know that CLE (if you are enrolled through them) requires a "diploma qualifying test" but an ACT test or SAT test can be substituted. Do you plan to have your children take this test anyway? Is your "hangup" (sorry, can't think of a better word right now) the test or reporting the score?

I'm thinking that they are asking for it for "insurance" for themselves. They are giving your child a diploma based on your grades, right? This gives added weight to your grades (assuming they are in line with the grades you have issued).

Just random ramblings from me. ;o)

ETA: Assuming I was happy with everything else through them, no it wouldn't bother me.

This post was edited on Oct 21, 2010 03:18 PM

LOL, Keniki! Neither! My "hangup" is that I am a stubborn, independent homeschooler. I know they will probably take the test anyway, but it is the old "I'll decide, and you can't make me" reasoning.

I'm thinking your options are "umbrella school" or go through the public schools, right? I'm not sure which one of us is more stubborn, but I'm too stubborn to go through the public schools if I have ANY other options. ;o) In that case, hands down, I'd give them the score they want and go on.

But that's just me. BTW (ornery grin) what does your dh say?

I haven't asked dh yet, but he is even more stubborn about his independence than I am.

Other options? There are other umbrella schools, but we chose this one because it had the fewest "hoops" and the most freedom.

The other option is going through the board of education. I did this for a while. I never liked the "enemy camp" feel of it. I found out there is a reason that 5% of our homeschoolers choose this option.

A lot of schools require seniors to take a diploma qualifying test before they can graduate. My husband currently teaches ps, where they require it, (but he has also taught private Christian school, and that one required the SAT or ACT, also). As Keniki mentioned, CLE requires the SAT/ACT/other diploma qualifying test, also. This kind of requirement theoretically maintains the standard of the diploma. In the case of private schools, I am sure it does. In the case of the ps, they have no standard to maintain, so I'm not too sure why they have the requirement. Well, they ahve to look good. ;) But as you note, not ALL schools require it. I don't feel it is a must. But it wouldn't keep from enrolling in a program, all else being equal. :) Pray about it, and see what you and your husband hear the Lord telling you. I ((((understand)))) where you're coming from. It is good not to blindly accept every petty dictate that comes down the pike, but analyze it first.

I am in TN. WE use Gateway, which so far does not have any testing requirements.

They are happy to answer any questions and do so promptly, but other than the bi annual grade reports they leave me alone.

Mommy4Jesus, THANKS for your wise input and especially for understanding my stubbornness. :)

brentapril, I will check out Gateway. Thanks so much for the suggestion. It is so nice to talk to a fellow Volunteer. :)

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions