Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

I need free 10th grade World History ideas

I need free 10th grade World History ideas

My 10th grader who spent most of her life in public school, since 6th grade has never had a full year of World History.

I bought AO LifePacs for her this year, since we are on a very limited budget. They are a total bust. Not only are they boring, but very difficult to get thru or understand. They questions don't even relate to the reading (??)

So I need some ideas as what to do. I was thinking of just having her read thru "Story of the World" books since they are at our libary. They also have "Drive thru History" vol. 1 and 2. Do you have any other suggestions? Any good lit we could add?

I even decided i'd read the LifePacs out loud to her but I cannot get thru them without falling asleep...

re: I need free 10th grade World History ideas

Did you get the TM? AOP has been a bust for us too for the most part (a few exceptions). If you have the TM, what about just doing some of the projects that are suggested? Maybe you could find library books on the topics to go with them.

Just a shot in the dark.

Yes, I do have the TM, but I did not find it very helpful. It has extra assignments that did not get me too excited LOL

Are you also using the 10th grade?

I may just go thru it with her, reading and discussing it, this way we can get thru it and I hopefully know she is getting something out of it.

What about using some of HOD's, Beautiful Feet's, or Sonlight's selections from their catalog and finding them at the library? The Kingfisher World History Encyc. is quite fascinating to read and look through, although from a secular perspective. I'm sure your library has this...maybe? Story of the World would work too, but they are definitely written to the more young crowd.

Also, since BJU just recently updated their WH text, I'll be you could find the old edition for a dime a dozen on ebay, if you want a Christian spine to guide you. It's probably much more interesting than the Lifepacs. Otherwise, your plan to just get-'r done with the Lifepacs read aloud would suffice, and then just add some interesting biographies to the picture.

Since you've mentioned before that this dd is not college bound, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just get-'r done. :)

HTH

Nancy

Yes, I do have the TM, but I did not find it very helpful. It has extra assignments that did not get me too excited LOL

Are you also using the 10th grade?

No, I just have a "leftover" 8th grade TM and thought about doing history this way with dd this year. I ended up doing ACE 8th instead and, so far, she's enjoying it. I *may* see if there are some projects from the AOP TM that I could add to the ACE.

Anyway, it was just an idea. Unfortunately, the ACE world history hasn't been updated, and you are looking for free anyway, which ACE isn't. ;o)

Okay...I would either find an old textbook for a few dollars online...OR

I would simply look at the table of contents of a World History Textbook online sample, then get some library books and use internet sources to learn about the topics. (I'm pretty sure you can see samples of table of contents for Notgrass, maybe BJU)

I'll bet you can even find some old world history texts at the library...or even a book just covering say, European History..which is what most texts focus on anyway...

jules

I would have her read through the Story of the World books, since they are available from your library. I've learned quite a bit from them myself. Or Google books has Van Loon's Story of Mankind. They also have a series that starts with By the Shores of the Great Sea that looks good.

Your library should also have lots of the "Dummies" and "Complete Idiots" guides to various aspects of history. I've also really enjoyed the Politically Incorrect Guides to various things. They should also have at least some textbooks. PASS also has the free texts for World History.
http://www.pass.leon.k12.fl.us/Special%20Documents/Book%20Subject%20Areas.aspx

Hope this helps,
Jennifer

Check out hyperhystory.com

http://www.hyperhistory.com/online_n2/History_n2/a.html

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions