Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

re: Does anyone here use MEP for Math??

Does anyone here use MEP for Math??

I can't get the Search here to work very often. I've spent a lot of time at the MEP site looking at pages from all levels. I'm pretty impressed. Does anyone here use this? I'd love to hear reviews (hopefully positive).

I have soooooo much stuff for math, but I've still been in such a quandry with what to use for my youngest dd (just turned 7). I have Moving With Math. I have Miquon, which we just started yesterday....but I don't plan on having that as our main curriculum. I have Making Math Meaningful....again, I'd use K & 1st just as a supplement (I don't think I'd go further than that). I have McRuffy Color Math, which I really like...but we will be finishing a level soon and I don't know if I want to (or can) spend money on the next level. I have Math Mammoth....never really could find the love for it yet....I would rather use it as a supplement when needed. I know....call me crazy when it comes to math (don't get me even started on what all I have for phonics/reading, LOL!). Then I heard about Mathematics Enhancement Programme (MEP). I really like this and I can't believe it's ALL FREE!

Here's a link to the primary levels:

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/primary/default.htm

I *really* like the Reception (so cute). I started a little of it with dd (not printing anything....just looking at the computer) and she's like....."mom, this is for babies". LOL! I know....my little one isn't a baby anymore (just turned 7 yesterday). But, she is a bit behind in math....still finishing McRuffy K (wish I had known about Reception a year or so ago)!! So, I printed pages 1 - 30 of Year 1 and we'll start today. OK....that's all....sorry to ramble.

You will get a lot more feedback on it by joining the Old Fashioned Education yahoo group. They are an approved institution and can provide you with the password to access the rest of the CIMT site. They are a wealth of information in general.

HTH

You need a password to see more of their site?? Don't you just need the page I linked in order to print the pages and use their math? I guess I'm just a little confused.....and confused why it's called "old fashioned".

You need a password just to download some of the units.

"Old Fashioned" refers to oldfashionededucation.com. It's a curriculum plan that recommends using MEP.

We used MEP for a little while as a supplement to other programs, and my dc really enjoyed it. But once we switched our main program to CLE, I didn't feel the need to supplement anymore.

Yes, I am using Yr1 with my dd7 right now. I use it along with MUS. I don't try to sync them up. We are doing MUS MWF and MEP TTh for the rest of the year then will switch to MEP for the majority of the week. Dd7 is getting an excellent grasp of number bonds and enjoys the multi-sensory approaches that are used in the lesson plans. I like the fact that this isn't just rote memorization of math facts or memorizing the formula for working out a problem. Dd 7 thinks the algebraic concepts are fun...like puzzles.

I am about to start using it as a supplement for my dd11 also but will back up a couple of grade levels so she can grasp the different way of thinking about numbers without the mathematical processes being too difficult for her.

I also heard that you needed a password for some of the content but I've clicked on just about everything on that page and haven't found anything yet that I couldn't access. (I might have missed it though.)

Crazy5

You can do a better search of the site by going to google & entering:

site:homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1 MEP math

You can use that for anything and it will search the the title ANY body of every thread (the search on the site only checks the title).

There is a MEP yahoo group you can join, too:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mep-homeschoolers/

Hope this helps!

Cindy

I love a lot of things about MEP - esp. how many of the problems are more like games & puzzles than math exercises.

Our main math is CLE, which is very complete and does not need to be supplemented. BUT being a math nerd I really want my dc to see math problems as puzzles to be solved, so we also use MEP. I use it about two grades behind to keep it light and fun. If you're going to use it as your main program, make sure you use the lesson plans, there is a lot of teaching in them.

It's a UK program, so their Year 1 = our kindergarten, but I think it would be very challenging if it was used 'on level'. My dc are using grade level CLE.

EDITED to clarify - my dc use grade level CLE, but two years behind in MEP

This post was edited on Oct 09, 2010 09:45 AM

Thank you for explaining Sharon.
~~~~~~

<<<Yes, I am using Yr1 with my dd7 right now......Dd7 is getting an excellent grasp of number bonds and enjoys the multi-sensory approaches that are used in the lesson plans. I like the fact that this isn't just rote memorization of math facts or memorizing the formula for working out a problem. Dd 7 thinks the algebraic concepts are fun...like puzzles. I also heard that you needed a password for some of the content but I've clicked on just about everything on that page and haven't found anything yet that I couldn't access. (I might have missed it though.)>>>

This is great to hear, especially since my dd is the same age. I'm wondering if the password is needed for something beyond Year 6 (on a different page than my link)?? Hmmm....well, I won't worry about it until I should ever need it.
~~~~~~

<<<You can do a better search of the site by going to google & entering: site:homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1 MEP math
You can use that for anything and it will search the the title ANY body of every thread (the search on the site only checks the title). There is a MEP yahoo group you can join, too:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mep-homeschoolers/
Hope this helps!
Cindy>>>

Thank you Cindy, this is very helpful. I went to google and typed in what you said, and it worked. I then took off "1MEPmath" after the last slash and typed in something else and it didn't work. What would you have to type in to search for other things (how do you type it in)? I might join that yahoo group too.
~~~~~~

<<<I love a lot of things about MEP - esp. how many of the problems are more like games & puzzles than math exercises.
If you're going to use it as your main program, make sure you use the lesson plans, there is a lot of teaching in them.
It's a UK program, so their Year 1 = our kindergarten, but I think it would be very challenging if it was used 'on level'. My dc are using grade level CLE.>>>

Mamalbh, I'm glad to hear you like it too. Yes, I will definitely use the lesson plans. I also heard that Year 1 would be kind of equivalent to Kindergarten, but I decided to start dd7 there anyway. It looked like Year 2 would be too hard for her.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions