Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Spelling program for a struggling speller

Spelling program for a struggling speller

Our dd11 is doing pretty well in other language art areas, but is a terrible speller. Is there a spelling program out there that is made for kids who really struggle with spelling?

re: Spelling program for a struggling speller

I would say spelling power. Your child will take a placement test in the book and start where she needs too. I did this with my struggling speller and I am happy I did.

Spalding. It's good for *anyone* who needs to improve reading or spelling skills.

www.spalding.org

All About Spelling - we've had awesome results. Also, for another struggling speller I've had great success with the AVKO spelling and we use it on DVD so he is completely responsible for the lesson and it is wonderful!!!
Heidi

My favs for my struggling speller are ACE's Word Building and Spell Well.

HTH
ncmom2boys

I Googled the "most frequently used words in the English language" and the "most frequently misspelled words in the English language.

I ended up with a list of most used words and two with high-college-adult most misspelled lists.

We (my 14 year old daughter and I) began working through those lists. It gave my daughter a huge amount of confidence in spelling. Those words are frequently used and misspelled....so, they had importance to her. The lists didn't seem like nonsense/random type words....

Anyways...that is just an idea in case you were interested.

It also makes sure that even if she's never a great speller she has the basics down! She'll at least "appear" to be a good speller...BUT, I can say those lists have helped tremendously! She's excited about spelling, wants to improve and feels like a person that can spell well and is still working on improving spelling....spelling actually became one of her favourite subjects because of the lists! She could also clearly see once a list was finished...there was an ended/success point.

Once we've worked through the lists we'll be using AVKO and Spelling Power.

So. With All About Spelling, would I just start at the beginning? Or would I need to figure out where to place dd? The Rainbow site has "Grades 1-6" listed for every single level. To me that means I should probably start at the beginning.

Your thoughts?

I just looked at the AAS website and found placement information. I think this might be a good fit. There are some great reviews on Rainbow. Thanks everyone.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions