Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

A Beka Online vs. BJU Press Online Scope & Sequence

A Beka Online vs. BJU Press Online Scope & Sequence

A few days ago I posted searching for online/DVD homeschool curriculum. We did Kindergarten with A Beka, and while my daughter learned to read and write, it seemed that she was stuck waiting for the other kids in the class that happened 20 years ago (or close to it!) and stuck with lots of busy work that wasn't all that beneficial.

Someone recommended BJU Press, so I downloaded the Scope & Sequence for both programs to compare.

I am completely stunned at the academic difference between BJU Press and A Beka. BJU Press seems far superior in every category but handwriting, where they seem to take things a bit slower. BJU's scope and sequence was four full pages, while A Beka's was only one page. I would much rather my daughter learn Physics, space, temperatures, sounds, and matter in Science with BJU than "Energy: Discovering My Toys" with A Beka.

I'm wondering if this is too good to be true. :0) Has anyone had experience with BJU Press that could tell me how the curriculum is once you really get started? It is as comprehensive in practice as it is on paper?

I am also wondering if any current BJU Press users can tell me how many lessons there are? Thanks in advance!

re: A Beka Online vs. BJU Press Online Scope & Sequence

We are using BJU this year for the first time. Last year we just used their English. We have only been doing it for three weeks, but I am soo impressed by BJU. We have used some Abeka in the past, but the critical thinking skills in BJU seem to be lacking in Abeka. My children really are enjoying BJU and are learning soo much! My 7th grader is doing the DLO program, and my 5th grader is doing the traditional program (with me teaching him ) except for Heritage Studies, which he does online. I think it is a fabulous program, and I wish we had done it years ago!

re: A Beka Online vs. BJU Press Online Scope & Sequence

We use both for various subjects/grades. I'm always a big fan of BJU in most areas, but I do tend to like A Beka's phonics/reading much better in the early years. Both are quite meaty programs...just different approaches. Some dc benefit from that classroom environment of A Beka, and it motivates them to try to "keep up." (My dd is currently inspired to improve upon her oral reading skills due to hearing other dc her age read out loud). However, BJU's studio design, in which the teacher talks directly to the student and is a little more homeschool "friendly", is amazing and very professionally done. With each new edition that comes out, it just gets better and better, IMO. BJU tends to respect YOU as the teacher and one in control a bit more than A Beka, and they acknowledge this in their communication to you as the parent. In fact, I just heard Mrs. Vick (6th grade science teacher) say to me yesterday in the orientation how she hesitates to even tell me *my* requirements as the facilitator of the program as listed on the lesson schedule because she recognizes that we are the ones in control, however, she puts the "teacher requirements" on the schedule just for me to see what she was not able to do during the class time. So if a quiz or worksheet needs graded, then it's there for me to see.

I'm VERY impressed with the online streaming option of both programs. It's very handy and well organized and easier to keep track of which lesson you're on. Lots of great features of both. I do tend to think that BJU emphasizes more of a philosophically deep approach to learning than A Beka, but both are plenty meaty. As with any program, there are pros and cons. What I weigh heavily on is the teacher involved. There are some that I like better than others and are just more enthusiastic in their teaching. So when I look at samples, I'm trying to figure how well my student will respond to the teaching style and personality of that particular teacher. Sometimes that makes a world of difference.

Nancy

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions