Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

S/o of secular vs christian.. .do you ever avoid christian currriculum because of disageements with theology?

re: S/o of secular vs christian.. .do you ever avoid christian currriculum because of disageements with theology?

Is the diety of Christ the same as The Father, Son and Holy Ghost?

And even though this thread may be controversial, I'm glad it was started... I've learned about curriculum I've never heard of before.

re: S/o of secular vs christian.. .do you ever avoid christian currriculum because of disageements with theology?

"Is the diety of Christ the same as The Father, Son and Holy Ghost?"
------------------------------

More or less. Typically, when one acknowledges the Holy Trinity (the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost/Spirit), they're acknoweldging that Jesus was God Incarnate (in the flesh). NOT Jesus as a completely separate entity or person, NOT as just a "good teacher" or prophet. But as God appearing in the flesh. See Philippians 2:5-11

If you enjoy their CDs and they are not trying to incorporate their religion into the story, then why should it even matter? When you sign out books on CD from the library, do you research the political and religious views of the reader before you will consider listening to it? It's the content of the materials you are purchasing that matter. If I can purchase a book or CD from company A, who happen to be Mormon for a really great deal, but company B also sells the same book, but for much more. It would be ridiculous for me not to purchase from company A, IMO. :)

"If you enjoy their CDs and they are not trying to incorporate their religion into the story, then why should it even matter?"
Theology and the denomination's particular doctrinal views. These are BIBLE story CDs. The Mormons do not believe that Jesus is/was God Incarnate, and that belief will color *everything else* in Scripture. Since we DO believe in the Holy Trinity, and we believe that all of the Old Testament points to the coming Messiah/God Incarnate, then even the way Old Testament Bible "stories" are presented will make a difference... as well as Old Testament prophecies and eschatology.

"When you sign out books on CD from the library, do you research the political and religious views of the reader before you will consider listening to it?"
--------------------------------
Yes, I do.

"It's the content of the materials you are purchasing that matter."
Exactly. And one's biblical worldview (or lack thereof), theological and philosophical beliefs, and view of the importance of history, God, and mankind, and what those three things have to do with each other (or not), is going to be present in the content of those materials. It's impossible NOT to insert one's personal worldview into anything they write.

Does that mean we never listen to or read materials that we don't agree with? Nope! But we're very discerning, and if we allow something in the house that we don't agree with it, it's here for a purpose (to teach apologetics, a biblical principle, etc.) and will be discussed openly and out loud. If my dd is listening to Bible stories CDs by herself as she's going to sleep at night, you bet I'm going to know what the author/producer's worldview is before it's allowed! (Or if we find out after the fact, then we'll deal with it accordingly.) That's my job as a parent. It's part of tending and training my children, and I'd be amiss if I didn't do that.

" If I can purchase a book or CD from company A, who happen to be Mormon for a really great deal, but company B also sells the same book, but for much more. It would be ridiculous for me not to purchase from company A, IMO. :) "
-------------------------------

The difference is in who you're supporting financially. Any money that you contribute to a company -- by donation or by purchasing their materials -- is going to further that company's mission. That's a fact, not my opinion. :)

Now, whether you have a conviction about supporting said company is entirely up to you. I choose not to, when given the choice.

And I admit this is an extremely difficult position to maintain in this day and age where Target, Walmart, Pepsi, and so many other popular companies support (and even encourage) lifestyles that go against my biblical convictions as a Christian. It's getting harder every day! But I'm going to do whatever I can, especially where it concerns materials that my young dd's are reading and learning from while they're still under my care and their minds and hearts are being shaped. I may still shop at Target on occasion, because quite frankly, I don't know where I *would* buy most "everyday" type things that would be any better (morality-wise as far as their financial givings). But I don't buy the short skirts and tops they sell for my little girls who I'm trying to keep modest.

As parents, we have to make these kinds of choices thoughtfully and carefully, realize that it's about more than just getting the best "deal", and be PROACTIVE to train our children in the worldview that we want to instill in them.

Agreeing with Kayrenee here...

It's all about conviction for us, when we are aware of what is at hand, and not the almighty dollar over here. I'd rather give a little extra money to the American "mom and pop shop" that happens to support my Christian values over the large convenience store that gets everything from foreign lands and openly marches their support for extremely anti-Christian values. (We currently choose not to shop at Home Depot for this reason). It's kind of the mentality of keepin' it in the family, KWIM? If my family owns a business, I'm gonna support them first...IF I am able to. It's not something that I stress over, as we do live in this world and can't constantly walk on egg shells about everything. I get that. But if these sorts of things are in fact brought to my attention and prove to be legit, then, yes, it will influence who I do business with and support financially. We went through quite a few violin teachers, hunting high and low, until I finally found a wonderful Christian woman who happens to play piano as well. She's amazing. At that point, I was willing to pay just about anything to get the whole package that she provides, and I even love knowing that her profits will be tithed on. :) It's a win-win!

I don't expect worldly companies to support Christian values, however, if they are directly firing darts against the Christian community at large in order to deliberately oppose Christian values, then they've pretty much lost my business. This is the case with Home Depot currently. Hopefully that will change.

I bought from Love to Learn for years, enjoying those great deals, until I found out that the profits were supporting Mormon "ministry." I've certainly got many, many choices of where to shop in this department! In fact, I could have ordered almost all of the same items from CBD for almost the same deal. We're talking a matter of just a few bucks in difference here, if much of any at all.

I love great deals! But my convictions far overpower that. It's a matter of trying to steward wisely what you have to work with along with the knowledge and wisdom you are given...no matter what the object of reference is.

Nancy

Here's a great article by Harvey Bluedorn about "Doing Business Outside Your Philosophical Neighborhood":

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/the_hidden_costs_of_doing.php

Here's his closing comments in the article:

"Economic practices may be destructive to the community of faith and harmful to the souls of individuals. For Christians, the bottom line should be: Put your money where your faith and values are. Support what you believe. The world understands and practices this same principle.

. . . for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
— Luke 16:8 "

I try to make my purchases first from a company I really like, when they have the materials I need available and at a competitive (maybe not the *best*) price. For the few "secular" materials I buy (like AlphaPhonics), I do try to get them from a seller with similar beliefs.

Part of this is to support the people I really like, and the other part is as a "thank you" to pointing out good products to me. There are some businesses (Vision Forum, Grace and Truth Books, and Timberdoodle come to mind) that sell a limited amount of materials, all carefully chosen because they do their jobs well and don't teach values we don't share. I go to these sellers to find out what I want to buy next, and I'm not going to buy the materials from another seller just to save a few cents because I want to thank them for pointing the materials out to me.

I like to think of it more as an endorsement of companies I like rather than a boycott of those I don't like as much. That being said, there are a few places I *won't* shop. Leave to Learn is one of them. Being Mormon is fine, but having one blatantly Mormon catalog and another one with the Mormon stuff missing designed to deceive isn't okay with me.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions