Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

My Father's World K ~verses~ Abeka K ( PLEASE HELP)

My Father's World K ~verses~ Abeka K ( PLEASE HELP)

Hello all,
I am having such a hard time deciding between these two curriculums :-( I have used Abeka in the past with my 4 oldest children but this time around, 7 years later, I have somewhat of a different philosophy. I know Abeka's phonics "works" , but MFW looks so much more interesting. Does anyone here LOVE MFW K ?? I have read all of the reviews and they seem to be very mixed. I want my dd to be able to read one vowel word stories at the end of K ( if she is ready) Will this program produce a good reader ?? Also for those of you that are very familiar with MFW, how far up does the phonics instruction go?? I know Abeka teaches it through 2nd grade. I think I want to start with a phonics program and follow it all of the way through. How is MFW 1st & 2nd grade??

re: My Father's World K ~verses~ Abeka K ( PLEASE HELP)

I would stick with your A Beka plan. MFW K will only get them reading 3 letter, short vowel words for K, and I've heard that the 1st moves really fast, but I've only used the K. I wished I had done A beka that year. I didn't like how the MFW K TM was set up either. It has some cute themes, but overall, I prefer A Beka out of those two choices. JMHO.

Nancy

I love MFW K. I am using it for the third time this year. I do add just the K Abeka math workbook and at the end of the year I have my K work on ETC 1-2, sometimes 3. We use Abeka for 1st and 2nd and have not had any transition problems. My children have never been super early readers and Abeka K brought tears. This scenerio is enjoyable and works well for us. I do prefer Abeka 1 to MFW 1.

"Also for those of you that are very familiar with MFW, how far up does the phonics instruction go?? "

K: covers short vowel words. They are reading cvc stories about mid way through the year and practice to gain fluency and be more ready for 1st grade. They also get to practice copywork and spelling and dictation of those words.

1st: short review of short vowels, followed by long vowels, then all necessary phonics are covered. There is a note in the 1st grade manual that says some children might need to finish the phonics in 2nd grade in the program. But basically all rules are covered by day 125 out of 160 lesson day.
if the pace is too much, MFW has specific suggestions for that
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3313

then in 2nd grade, MFW recommends phonics review via Rod and Staff spelling workbook.

I've used MFW K and 1st with 2 of my children. LIke it a lot! My youngest is one of them I used it with. She has autism and it worked fine. The other daughter was reading ahead of the curve and MFW didn't slow her down. Good reader. my autism kid - hard to assess at times. But she reads. go figure that.

-crystal

Thank you very much for all of your help!! So if I used MFW for K and then for 1st I could just slow down the pace in 1st if it becomes too much. I am not sure why I am having such a hard time with this decision.

I have only used A Beka for K, but I too think that MFW K looks great. Could you combine the 2 curriculum?

ncmom2boys

We loved MFW K! Abeka will be a lot more "intense", and will feel more "academic" than MFW (we don't like "academic" at that age in our house, LOL), and I like how the Bible and science themes were integrated into MFW K. It was fun and it did the job. I added tabbed dividers (the kind that stick onto the edge of the page) to the beginning of each section of my manual. This eliminated the frustration I felt at first with the flipping back and forth.

Crystal said:
"There is a note in the 1st grade manual that says some children might need to finish the phonics in 2nd grade in the program. But basically all rules are covered by day 125 out of 160 lesson day.
if the pace is too much, MFW has specific suggestions for that
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3313"
--------------------------------------

That's us. Because my dd has struggled with all the language arts because of a speech disorder, it's taken us longer to get through the 1st grade program. Well, even the K program we didn't do until she was 5-1/2. I do supplement with another program because she needs more practice/repetition with each new concept as it comes up, so we're definitely finishing the 1st grade program in her 2nd grade year. But if I'd used this program with my older two, it would've been fine as is, I think.

LOVE the Bible in the 1st grade program!

Ncmom2boys ~ I have definately been thinking about whether or not I could combine it with out making it too complicated for myself because I also have 2 highschoolers and a middle schooler.

Thank you guys for your opinions, they do help. I think I am just afraid to come away from what I "know"

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions