Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW or HOD?

MFW or HOD?

I know this has been discussed before, and I thought I had the matter settled, but well, you know how it goes. See the thing is, when we started back this year with HOD (I'm combining my 2 oldest in CTC and my next 2 in LHFHG,and my youngest is dabbling in LHTH), I just felt so overwhelmed by all that I have to do with and for everyone. I know that my oldest are becoming more independent, but it is still a lot to keep up with all they are doing and teach everything to my younger 2 and keep up with a potty training toddler.

What I was thinking was transitioning to MFW since starting next year, my oldest 4 will be in the 2 - 8 th grade range. I was going to have my oldest 2 pick up MFW's RtR when they finish CTC (which they should after Christmas), and then when they are done with that, combine everyone together into Explor - 1850. I have never used MFW before, but it seems like it would lighten my load a little to have everyone together doing the same thing. Also, when I look at HOD's RTR, I see ALOT of books (expensive books) and sometimes I think the history they have scheduled in one day is a little overkill - read about history box, independent history box, history project box, and a storytime box that is usually related to the history. Don't get me wrong, I love history, but, well, it just seems a little over the top sometimes.

I know it's hard to get an objective point of view because everyone kind of has their favorite curriculum, but any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

Also, I know some of you are thinking - go Robinson, but I have 2 who would flounder and drive me crazy if I tried to send them off to do all of their work independently. So, as enticing as that sounds, I am really not considering that right now. Sorry, Robinson fans. :-)

re: MFW or HOD?

"I was going to have my oldest 2 pick up MFW's RtR when they finish CTC (which they should after Christmas), and then when they are done with that, combine everyone together into Explor - 1850. "
-------------------------

I think it would actually work very well to do that. I have 3 girls, and our days were the smoothest when I had everyone at the table working together, and we were all studying the same thing. We had AWESOME discussions and activities together... which I very much miss now that my oldest is doing high school independently and there's 4 years (more than that academically) between my younger two. I had a hard time getting over the hump as my oldest transitioned into h.s., and I still had one who needed me 1-on-1 for every subject.

They're all doing separate programs now (for the most part), but only the youngest has me involved the entire time. For your kids' ages, I'd do MFW over HOD in a heartbeat! (And RTR just happened to be our favorite, btw.) You'll find a *bit* of overlap between the beginning of RTR and the end of HOD's CTC, but it's very different in style, books used, activities, etc., so that will be okay.

Thanks, Kayrenee, for your thoughts. I was actually planning to start MFW RtR at about unit 10 to avoid the overlap. This would also help me finish up RtR in time to get everyone together in Explor - 1850 a couple weeks into next year.

Also, I will only be able to have these 4 together for 2 years and then the older 2 will be moving on up to high school, soo it would be nice to take advantage of the "togetherness" while I will still have it.

I agree the togetherness is awesome and MFW works great for that! We are using RTR and my first grader even sits and listens to our readings most days.

I don't have experience with MFW or HOD yet, but you did ask for advice or suggestions on recommendations. My advice is more general coming from a veteran homeschooler's perspective. I don't know your particular situation other than what I read in this post, so please take this with a grain of salt if it doesn't fit your situation.

The first thing that I noted was the fact that you are potty training. You didn't mention specific ages of children, but because of the levels of HOD you mentioned I presume some of the children are old enough to help the toddler with potty training?

Also take a break from all the HOD manuals you are teaching from until you get mentally prepared and no longer feel you are at the edge of burnout. If you can let your children do as much independent work as possible, as well as the olders helping the youngers with schoolwork and chores. I would not hesitate to change curricula entirely for a season if necessary to gain my focus again.

It is difficult to homeschool, even on good days. You have to keep yourself strong and feeling rejuvenated to maintain a balance with that many responsibilities. I'm only mama to one, but I have lived vicariously through the eyes of friends who have more than 5 children. I've been in their homes and have kept their children on numerous occasions, with mine added. Their households and homeschools have to run as smoothly as a well-oiled machine or the mama loses her sanity.

Hugs!!!

This post was edited on Aug 23, 2010 08:30 PM

Thanks, cocoa, for the encouragement and the kind words. I appreciate your taking time to write and let me know it's okay to feel the way I do.

As far as the toddler goes, all of the older children help with her while I am teaching the others in the AM. I couldn't get much done if I didn't have that in place. :-)

Today went better. I am streamlining as we go. I started (2 weeks ago) with 3 HOD programs + my ds 9 whom I was trying to come up with stuff for him on my own. That was crazy. I now have him in with his younger brother, so I have 2 groups plus the toddler making things much less hectic mentally for me. Also, I have decided to do Rod and Staff math for my 9 yo ds and my 6 yo ds. We have used and I like MUS, but R&S is straightforward and just so easy for me to teach. Once again, I had to go with what would make our day flow.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions