Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

How do "YOU" teach Abeka History and Science? 5th and 8th grades

How do "YOU" teach Abeka History and Science? 5th and 8th grades

Still trying to find our way with Abeka Science and History. It is sooooooooooo different from Weaver. I do like the books. They are covering alot of stuff that we have not covered or that we didn't cover well for lack of resources. The Abeka books are interesting to me and to my dc.

So, how do you teach it?
Read to them or have them read.
Questions orally or on paper.
grade quizzes or not
review over quizzes before tests or review daily all the bold and underlined sections

Any thoughts or ideas?????????????

re: How do "YOU" teach Abeka History and Science? 5th and 8th grades

I don't know if this helps, but .... we used the teacher's lesson plan book with our ABeka history. I needed guidance where to give quizzes and tests since I wanted to be sure the material was taught before them. Typically my dc would read (or I would read) a portion up to the checkups. I would have him answer them in complete sentences (he needed the practice). He would type them out but in earlier years he would write them out. We also had the map activities to go with the course so occasionally those would be part of his lesson. I depended on the teacher's guide for this class. It helped me a great deal. We did not do ABeka science, but it's very similar in format so the teacher's lesson plan would help for that too I imagine. You may be able to just read and have your dc answer the text questions and skip testing/quizzing if that is what you are used to. Perhaps you could add timelines, lapbooking, narration, reports, and so on instead. We are a traditional homeschool, so we do the testing and give grades.

I used the teacher lesson plans to help us know where to be when, but that was about it. Boys did the reading, I asked the questions orally, they did quizzes, I let them correct them, and even just write in the correct answers to ones they got wrong, but I corrected tests. They did review/studying on their own. I also decided what projects or experiments they did. Sometimes, if things got too stressful, we did the quizzes orally, as well. Saves so much time not doing so much written work:)

I no longer use ABeka, but we did up until 5th grade,and I used ABeka myself all thru school.
I know one thing we did that ABeka recommended somewhere in some TM long ago (hehe), was to write the answers in complete sentences.
Q: Who sailed across the ocean in 1492?
A: Columbus sailed across the ocean in 1492.

This helped for studying later, and reinforced what the question actually was.

Something else I read just a couple of days ago, maybe it was here, or maybe it was at a link that was posted here, was to let them use their notes for reference when doing quizzes.
This does 2 things. It really makes them want to take better notes, therefore they are learning much more this way.
I'm going to try this w/ my dc. =)
It will be like open book quizzes, but only from their own notes. No looking at siblings' notes. (I have b/g twins)

As for the reading, they read everything themselves except for my dyslexic ds, and his twin or I would read to him.
I gradually started letting him read small passages.
But even he had to write the questions on paper, although I did help him shorten them somewhat.
Some questions, if it involved something that could be drawn, both twins did that. The layers of the earth. Why *just* write them? They would draw, label, and title it.
Sometimes one diagram would cover several questions. =)
We did this as much as possible, maps, tables, any drawings that were labeled in the text, so I suppose it's sort of notebooking. But nearly all questions were answered on paper one way or another.

HTH!
Marty =)

I have thought about doing this............questions orally..........have them copy the definitions/bold words/sentences underlined............that would make a great study sheet for the tests.

Our children do best reading quietly on their own. When they finish we discuss what they read using the comprehension questions. Also, they usually have things they learned that they are eager to share. Abeka always puts in extra information and not just the factoids, which we all really enjoy! They do the comprehension checks on paper now on paper, but up to this year (5th/6th grade), we just did them orally. We do the quizzes for a grade and don't do the tests. Next year, we'll add in the tests. The quizzes themselves tell what sections/pgs. are covered on them, so we don't use the curriculum guide.
I go through and write in my teacher's edition where the quizzes are so I know when to give them. We love Abeka science and find it very easy to use. Our children love it and want to do it every year. That doesn't mean it's a perfect fit for everyone.
Just sharing our experience.
HTH,
Michelle32

I love hearing how every one else does it. Keep the ideas coming.

michelle32...............I may have to email you............I didn't get your email.

We're just finishing up 6th, but here's what we do each day since I don't use the lesson plans.

1. I look in my teacher's planning book to see what we did yesterday. If we just finished a chapter, I pull out the test booklet and ask DD to study first. If not, I pull out the quiz booklet and see if a quiz is due. If the quiz is due, study and take the quiz. That's it for the day. Studying is done directly from the text because DD highlights as she reads.
2. If a quiz is not due, I pull out the text and have DD read and highlight important points of the next section. When she is finished, we orally go over the questions at the section end.
3. I look in the map studies booklet and pull out the next page. We do roughly one page a day until the end of the workbook.
4. After science, on section reading days, we do a lab which pertains to what we've read. This is a quick something which might be as simple as looking at some insects under the stereoscope.
5. I record whatever we did in my teacher's planning book.

The entire process takes about 15 minutes for each subject and then 15 minutes for the lab. It may take longer when we start 7th grade.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions