Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

University Model? Do Any of you use it, like it?

University Model? Do Any of you use it, like it?

Online article: "The part-home school, part-private academy concept is called the university-model school..."They'll do things at class that you can't do at home -- presentations, discussions, labs, art projects...At home they'll do the reading and the research, other things they can do on an independent basis. They're not going to be coming to school and sitting and reading a chapter at school."

I found this after looking into a progrm my son told me about. His best friend is going to be hs next year, for 6th grade. He said "he is going to school M/W and doing sports and band at school, and hs the other days"

I know my current son would not want to do this, but as we look for options later for our older two this caught my eye. So, do any of you use a University Model program as part of hs?

Anne

re: University Model? Do Any of you use it, like it?

I've not heard of this being called the University Model. I do know of some kids who h/s and then go for a class or two at the high school. How do you think the State looks at this. Is this a homeschool or something else?

Annika

I know that at our local charter/tech school you can take one class there and be able to participate in all of their activites. I was thinking about doing this for high school so I could still be on sports teams. However, I will be going to the local private Catholic high school.

Ellen Marie

I just recently heard this term because my Uncle is sending his k dd to one. I don't know if they are all classical but the one she is going to is.

Yes, we did a UMS for 2 years. It was a good experience. However, you are at the liberty of the school. You have to get the assignments/projects done.... so no days off when you need them. Some of it will be busy work too. We decided to come back to homeschooling because we were expecting our 5th child and all the homework started stressing me out. For example, there were some days that it too my children until 4 or 5pm to finish school work... but there were lighter days as well. It just depends on your family lifestyle and what your goals are for your children. We are very happy to be homeschooling again. We are much more relaxed with not having the pressure to turn something in tommorow. We may utilize it in the future for a class or two, if needed. I would be happy to answer any questions for you. Here is the website that explains it more in detail and lists schools and their websites...

www.naums.net

Jennifer

My sister was in one in jr high and quit after a semester because she was so stressed with all the homework. It is just really intense.

We have a university model school in my area. I know several people who send their kids there and are happy. It is very structured and lots of work. So it may not be for everybody. We may consider this option for high school if one of our kids feels the need to go to school.

Korey

Jennifer (momtoaaaa): Thanks for offering to answer questions. My dd and ds are still in school and LOVE school. The youngest is at home.

DD likes school work and the classroom environment. What I wonder is this:
Is the work challenging? While my boys happily plug along at or below grade level, she likes 'hard' work. We are planning on Catholic middle school. However, being a planner I need a back up plan!

Also, our local UM is $250 per class, per year. Is this on par with your previsous cost?

Thanks!
Anne

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions