Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Can't decide between HOD Bigger or MFW Adventures

Can't decide between HOD Bigger or MFW Adventures

I am trying to decide between HOD Bigger and MFW Adventures for this coming year. Both look so great! I already know if I go with MFW I will be buying some of the book basket books because I don't want to deal with the library. I am also looking at each companys other programs because I would like to stick with one long term if possible (but I am open to change).

Which one has funner projects, activities, more engaging (enjoyable) books?

Please help me choose!

re: Can't decide between HOD Bigger or MFW Adventures

I can't answer specifically which one has more engaging books and activities, I would suggest that you look at the format of the teacher's guide. I didn't think it would be a big deal to me, but I have discovered I need a week at a glance schedule. We have planned activities during the week so I need to know what is coming to plan ahead. I also need to know what supplies I need ahead of time. I know I can turn the page in HOD and look it up but I don't. I know I can buy a lesson planner and rewrite the plans for HOD in a week at a glance format but then I have 2 books that I need to look at and I hate that.

Both curriculums are good and I'm sure your kids will enjoy either one. I just thought I would give you some food for thought regarding the manuals.

Sarah

We tried HOD Bigger and ended up ditching it for MFW Adventures when dd was in 2nd grade. She loved MFW and has retained much of what she learned. We used MFW mainly for the History component since we already had a Science curriculum in place that was working well for us.
Keep in mind this is just our experience. Both HOD and MFW are great programs, it is really just a matter of personal preference and what works best for your children. :)

I haven't used Bigger or Adventures, but we are using Beyond. We are really enjoying it so far. My kids love the hands on activities, and the read alouds are great. I'm actually really liking the one day spread. I can look over just one day the night before, or look ahead for the whole week. Heart of Dakota does Charlotte Mason so well it makes it easy. The only thing CM I feel is missing from the younger guides is Art study, Music study, and Nature study. All of those I can easily add in, and nature study should be natural and not really planned anyways.

I would look carefully at the layout and the way they integrate the books. For me HOD is the winner now and for the future. For the way my head works it connects more to God in a way I can translate to my kids. They day by day layout works better for me and I feel like I can add or tweak without ruining the program. Those were all things that were important to me. I would take a look at both with the things that really matter to you and look carefully at how things are incorporated and see which one will bless your personality the best as well as your children. I really think they are written different enough that they really bless different people in different ways.

HTH

I have used both--we used Adventures for my dd's 2nd grade year and Bigger last year, with a 6th/3rd grader. It's kind of hard to compare but I think overall we preferred Adventures. I liked the layout of the TM better (as someone else said), and I liked the flexibility. Bigger was a bit more difficult to customize to fit us. I do have to say I was trying to combine my two together with Bigger which is not really recommended by the author. I just really wanted to keep mine together for History. It worked out OK but I ended up having to tweak a LOT for the 6th grader.

OTOH, if you like all of HOD's choices and your child fits well within the placement of the manual, it could be a really good fit.

Oh and we enjoyed Adventures' spine book (Pioneers & Patriots) better than the Eggleston books used in Bigger, although we didn't care for Exploring American History (a bit much for the age). We substituted with library books and it worked out fine. I loved the book basket concept--we just got a big pile of books from the library each week and read the ones that looked interesting.

As far as science, I didn't care for either program's recommendations--we ended up doing our own thing. ;)

MFW users here... Ditto what some others have said about it, but another thing I like about Adventures in particular (going beyond just the history portion of it) is the names of Jesus study, the way science is tied in with the names of Jesus, and the patriotic songs and symbols. You also cover all 50 states of the U.S. I know this would be an easy thing to add in separately, but since I like the way the whole program is integrated, it just fits very nicely and makes it fun.

I also prefer a week-at-a-glance schedule vs. daily. And I appreciate the supply list being done for me so that I can see at a glance if I've got everything I need.

Not sure *what* about HOD appeals to you, but if it's primarily the books in the program, why not just buy some of those and use them in lieu of Book Basket in MFW? Although one nice thing about Book Basket is the fact that the list -- about 400 titles in every genre and a wide variety of reading levels, which also includes educational videos on topic -- are sorted by week # and topic. Marie has parent alerts as to content by those which might not be suitable for some families, and every single book on the list has been pre-read by her (and videos previewed) for content and age-appropriateness. It's very likely that you'll find a good number of the HOD titles on that list. And since Marie is well aware that some families can't or don't want to use the library (they lived in Russia for 8 years), she has asterisked those titles which she recommends for purchase if your prefer to do it that way.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I think right now I am leaning towards using MFW. What draws me to HOD is the book selections, science program, and I LOVE the art and notebooking. For in the samples for science I see HOD has you copy a verse on the top of the page, then draw a picture from the book and label it. History notebooking also has them drawing and labeling. I also like the art lessons that tie in (painting). How does MFW compare to this?

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions