Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

DIVE vs. Saxon Teacher

DIVE vs. Saxon Teacher

I'm just curious...we don't use Saxon but of course know several families who do, and know of upcoming homeschool families, too, for whom this information could be valuable.

Are these two audio/visual programs very similar, except that Saxon Teacher is produced by the Saxon publisher and follows the book lessons with exact problems from the book, and the DIVE program is produced by an independent publisher who follows the same topics as the Saxon books but uses similar but different sample problems?

Susan

re: DIVE vs. Saxon Teacher

Sorry, don't have experience with either of these. Just anxious to hear some replies, so bumping it up.

Hi, I can't comment too much on Saxon Teacher, but we use the DIVE dvds. DIVE follows the lessons in the book, but he uses his own practice problems because of copyright issues on using the ones in the book. I like this because if my ds needs to do some extra problems, I can just use the ones in the book. I really like Dr. S's style of teaching and his friendly reminders to my dc to keep a good attitude and be thankful that God has allowed them to have a nice dvd to help them with their math. I love the independence it has given my son, especially once we loaded the lessons on his computer. I am not sure what the cost difference is, but I think the DIVE dvds are worth the money.
Sherry

Thanks, Sherry! That tells me about DIVE.

Anyone out there who can tell me about Saxon Teacher?

Susan

Saxon Teacher uses the practice problems found in the book.

There is another thread that further explains each of the dvd's out there that go with the Saxon program. It's called :

re: s/o of "really disappointed. . . . (Saxon cd's/dvd's related)

HTH!

Both the DIVE and Saxon Teacher are CD "Whiteboard" presentations which means there is a voice in the background describing writing that appears on the board.

Because they are not "video" presentations, they will not work in a TV or computer DVD player. They will only work on a computer CD player.

The DIVE sells for $50 plus shipping while Saxon Teacher sells for $89 plus shipping and handling which makes its cost just over a hundred dollars - depending on where you live.

There are basically four tutorial products that support Saxon math books. They are DIVE ($50 + Shpg), Saxon Teacher ($89 + Shpg), Teaching Tapes ($145 - $245 + Shpg), and Mastering Algebra - John Saxon's Way ($49.95 - Free Shipping) The last two products are actual DVD "video" tutorial programs with teachers.

You can review the ups and the downs of these products by going to www.usingsaxon.com.

Hope this helps clarify the difference between tutorials and talking solutions manual.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call my office any week day.

Art Reed
(580)234-0064

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions