Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Math U See or Teaching Textbooks for Geometry?

Math U See or Teaching Textbooks for Geometry?

My son, age 15, just finished MUS Algebra I. He is not very strong in math, but has done really well with all of the MUS levels--up until Algebra I. The format was a bit different and Algebra just did not come very easily for him.

I am considering MUS Geometry, but I'm a little hesitant about it. Could anyone share their opinions on this program? Successful? Not so successful?

Also, I'm curious about Teaching Textbooks' Geometry program. What do you think of this? Is it too confusing or did you find it to be a great program?

Thanks for any info!

Colleen H

re: Math U See or Teaching Textbooks for Geometry?

This is just my opinion, which is geared to 'fitting' my own dc...not someone else's dc. So, you are free to take it with a grain of salt if you wish.

We tried TT Geometry with my older dc. It was not a good fit for my Algebra challenged dc. It is very proof intensive from early on in the course.

So, we gathered some other materials and DVDs and put together a course that barely touched on proofs and called it Basic Geometry for the transcript.

For my upcoming dc I have chosen Math U See Geometry. It does include proofs, yet the course is not proof intensive. It has some DVD instruction. It looks like a better fit for us, though some have called it 'lite'. IOW, I take that to mean it may be less intensive than some more rigorous geometry courses. That's okay. My dc does not need a clearly rigorous geometry course.

HTH,
Susan

We struggled for 8 weeks with MUS Algebra 1 before switching to Teaching Textbooks. We have use Algebra 1, 2 and Geometry. The Geometry is proof-heavy, and it was not an easy course (I don't ever want to hear TT is easy again!). However, we did complete is successfully (Well, honestly, we have 9 lessons left.). I have not used MUS Geometry.

After many years with MUS we tried TT for geometry and a few other levels. My DS made it through about a month of TT geometry before we switched back to MUS. The first many lessons of TT geometry are about logic word problems. I understand that learning geometry teaches logical thinking, but spending so many lessons on this before getting to the more interesting (IMHO) geometry based logic seemed boring and wasteful. On the otherhand, I have had two children complete MUS geometry with a solid understanding.

Blessings,
jfurlough

Thanks for the insight into both programs. I appreciate it!

Colleen H

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions