Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

comparing ABeka Grammar v R&S English?

comparing ABeka Grammar v R&S English?

I'm trying to compare ABeka Grammar & Comp versus R&S English. I know both are strong on grammar. And R&S is more b&w (but that could be OK since dc sometimes get distracted by the bright artwork). 2nd grade DD has ABeka this year and it seems (?) that the lang. arts book is more fluff than what it seems (?) R&S is. I have a few of their sample books but I don't have comparable grades of ABeka sitting in front of me to do a meaningful comparison.

Also- -from the catalog it looks like R&S only goes up to grade 10 in English. But perhaps they've already covered in that timespan what ABeka covers in 2 more years? Does everyone have their dc study grammar right through 12th?

Thank you to any who know about these and can compare! It is more helpful than you know. I'm off the mainland right now and so I can't get to any conventions to see these, or look at a friend's curriculum, etc. I learn what I do through the internet and whatever samples I can get. (:

God bless you,
Margaret

re: comparing ABeka Grammar v R&S English?

A friend of mine just graduated her daughter and she did great on her ACT test. She used Rod and Staff English and Math all the way through. My friend said that the English is way advanced and covers plenty by the time the books stop. She showed me some of the books and that was the start of our Rod and Staff research. We are using the 2nd grade and love it. It is very thorough. It really teaches from the foundation up. It's not just about the parts of speech, but how to write effectively and so on. We picked up Abeka at one point, but most of the teaching was not in the child's lesson book. I like that Rod and Staff has examples and such for the child to read on their own/with you and to refer to as they do the lessons. Just my 2 cents. I wasn't overly impressed with Abeka's LA, but I know it works well for some folks.
Michelle30

I bought 2nd grade Abeka language but switched over to R&S English. WE love R&S English!!! It is so easy to understand and the exercises can be done orally or written so it makes for a much more flexible day. My Dd hated Abeka language. It was just too much workbook/busy work and she also dislikes the glossy pages. That isn't a big deal but she really couldn't stand trying to erase on those pages (another type A in the family). Abeka language also required more prep from me. R&S is open and go and the student textbook is written directly to the studen. Love, Love, love it. We plan on staying with all the way through.

Let me just bring up a point about R+S....It only goes to Grade 10 for English because once you hit Grade 6 it really winds up. By the time you have finished Grade 10 R+S, you pretty much have a solid high school to college educated English. They are Mennonites and they do not go to school past 8th grade, as a rule...so R+S is very advanced when you get to the upper grades.

Abeka lacks composition,(althoughj I have heard it has improved somewhat recently) where R+S has composition built in quite a bit. R+S is very easy to use. But if your child loves flashy color, you will not find that in R+S.

HTH
Cindy

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions