Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW Adentures VS HOD Beyond Little Hearts

MFW Adentures VS HOD Beyond Little Hearts

Hi Ya'll. I really hope ya'll can help me out. I am having a real hard time when I compare these two curriculum's History.

Our background has been with MFW. We are finishing this year with MFW 1st grade. I really loved the first half, as it provided a lot of hands on. I didn't feel like it had enough writing activities and basically all the History was the Bible only. I also felt after the first 100 days, the days became very short, as I ended up having to supplement for the rest of it.

This next year I really want my DD to learn a lot about Christopher Columbus, Pilgrims, Thanksgiving and such. I see both Adventures and HOD offer what I am looking for.

Has anyone used the and how did you like the History? What didn't you like?

I basically am looking at both of these programs for History and Bible.

Thanks

Kari

re: MFW Adentures VS HOD Beyond Little Hearts

Oh wow. Well, we used Adventures and absolutely LOVED it. I've posted about it quite a bit on this board. Have you done a search? I know the search feature doesn't always work that well, but this is common topic here.

Hi Kari,
This is a tough question because both curriculums are loved by many. I went with MFW Adventures and we have had a fantastic year. I love how Bible, science, and history are all tied together with a nice weekly schedule and lots of hands on activities to choose from. It has been a really fun year. I looked at HOD for two weeks intensely before deciding on MFW, so I understand how hard it is to choose. I preferred MFW's weekly schedule and liked the sample lesson on their website. Maybe, if you print out the sample lesson from both curriculums and just read through a week with each, you might find you lean towards one more than the other.
Mona

Hi,
Just weighing in on one other thought..... You need to also think about what each program looks like over time. I have gone with MFW in the past and have switched over to HOD because I liked the whole-hearted Christ-centered path that each of the guides seemed to follow. There were things in the later guides (of MFW) that I didn't agree with. HOD also seems to be more in-depth than the MFW guides. This is just my opinion. I, too, have used MFW and have had to add to the program. I don't see that need with Beyond and the other HOD guides.

momtofive

"There were things in the later guides (of MFW) that I didn't agree with. "
--------------------------------

Can you be more specific? What exactly didn't you agree with? Was it certain book choices? The content of the history taught? The content of Bible? The way history and Bible are integrated? The layout of the TMs? The author's teaching notes? The activities? The extensive booklist in the back of the TMs?

It's always helpful to know *what* someone didn't agree with when saying they don't agree, kwim?

We've used every level of MFW in the elementary years, as well as the first year of high school. We've also attempted to use several different levels of HOD (that's been completed so far, well, I should say I've bought every TM except Bigger, and sincerely attempted to use two of them), but kept going back to MFW for different reasons. After all that, I can't say that MFW isn't less "indepth" than HOD... at ALL. In fact, some would even say it (MFW) is more indepth than they really wanted for certain children and ages, so.... I guess "indepth" is all about perspective. ;o) It's also hard to say just how indepth a program is if one hasn't actually used it.

Really, there's something about *every* program that I don't agree with. I've never used a program 100% as written in my life, and we've been homeschooling for nearly 10 years! I don't know of anyone that does, in fact.

It just would be helpful if you could be more specific in your review, is all I'm saying.

To the OP: I also think that it's very possible to do MFW Adventures one year and then switch to HOD the next, or vice versa. If you follow MFW's long term plan, then you'd do ECC after Adventures, then begin the 4-year chronological history cycle. Then you'd do ECC at a more indepth level, with the junior high supplement package, when your oldest is in 8th grade.

HOD follows a slightly different path, so if you wanted to do a year of HOD instead of an extra year of ECC, that would work, too. It's very possible to combine or switch back and forth, is what I'm saying.

I suggest printing out all the sample lessons from every year offered by both publishers, and then reading through them in order to see the long term vision a little bit better. MFW also has some conference talks on CD that might be helpful in deciding. That way your dh could listen, too, and provide his input. Not sure if Carrie (HOD) has anything like that available or not. You could call and ask.

Psalms_75, I just typed a couple of posts in reply to the "SL vs. MFW Timeline" thread, and thought I'd copy the link here for you to go see some more details about Adventures:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/forums/1/thread.aspx?id=77489

Tough decision, I know. MFW and HOD are both great programs! Very similar... yet different.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions