Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Sonlight vs. MFW

Sonlight vs. MFW

Hey again,
I got such amazing responses with my English question that I thought I'd try again. This year for our core curriculum we've used Sonlight. I actually have enjoyed the material and so have my kids (ds 11 and 9; dd 6). HOWEVER, it has been VERY time consuming! I love the literature aspect of it and I love being involved and, really, learning right along with them. I just don't know if I can handle that much work in the fall again. I haven't been rigorous with my dd due to her age. This fall, though, I want to actually do curriculum with her now that I feel she's ready. I love how the boys have learned with this. They really know and understand the material!! I think my problem lies in the fact that I also work full time(3 days/wk) and we play a lot of catch up the other days. They do what they can with grandma and daddy but some of it, like the read aloud books, I like to do with them. I have researched MFW and it seems simpler b/c I can do all 3 dc together. But it doesn't seem to be as thorough and the library book box thing makes me tired just thinking about it. I also have thought about switching to all Rod and Staff but then I wouldn't be very involved at all! I really don't want to use Abeka or BJU, just way to rigorous and formal. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a good curriculum that creates a creative, fun, yet educationally excellent learning atmosphere? Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!!

re: Sonlight vs. MFW

Heart of Dakota. Time-conscious, fun, creative, excellent, easy open and go lesson plans, with lots of great literature. We are enjoying it very much. The programs aren't designed for combining a big spread of ages like MFW is though. But, don't let that scare you, because the program is designed for you to be able to use multiple guides with multiples ages and still not be a time sucker. The layout of the lesson plans would make it really easy for others to help you teach from it, like you mentioned your husband and mother sometimes do. HOD has a really unique lesson plan structure and layout, you'll have to look on their website to see samples of it to see what I mean.

MFW sounds great too though, but I would research HOD as well!

Best of luck to you!

Monique

I"m going to start MFW Adventures sometime this summer. I went back and forth between MFW and Sonlight. Here are the reasons I chose MFW:

Less expensive
Includes hands on activities
It uses less books
My library carries more of the MFW books

The book basket is optional. You could do the complete program without it, but I think it's a nice plus.

I don't think you could wrong with either program. I plan on incorporating some of Sonlight's reading suggestions with MFW.

A couple of suggestions:

If you decide to stay with Sonlight:
-you could slow Sonlight down to do it in 18 months or 2 whole years. I know from experience that it is really difficult to keep up with a part time job, much less three full days of work. There is no need to finish it ALL in 9 months!!! it is tooo good!!
-It is also really hard to decide to skip some of the books because they all look sooooo good. One way to decide that would be to get on the SL forums and ask for suggestions as to which to skip. I have also done some of this in the past.
BTW, core 3 is awesome!!!!

If you go with MFW:
It does seem like a slower paced, less demanding program. As a matter of fact, I will be using adventures with my 2nd grade dd for this coming year and then go back to SL. I plan to enrich with some of the easier readers I already own from SL. If you compare the book lists, there is some overlap between the 2 programs.

BTW, it was my experience with SL that it is better to use a core that places the kids in the UPPER range of the age bracket they suggest. Just MHO.

I have to say, though, either way you choose, you will have great material for your kiddos!!!

rmiz

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions