Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

MFW ECC or HOD???

MFW ECC or HOD???

I know that these two programs do not cover the same kind of material but I was just wondering for those who have used both or either, which makes for a longer school day. Which is easier to implement? If we use ECC we will be combining a 4th with 7th grader with the older one using the 7-8th grade supplement package. If we used HOD, I would place my 4th grader in Bigger (I would put him at a lower level because he needs the U. S. History and we tried Preparing this past year with him struggling quite a bit. We never finished although my oldest was doing quite nicely. We ended up with using Abeka textbooks for their particular grade.) My 7th grader would use CTC with extensions. She has had quite a bit of American History and could use some more world history ( as far as world history is concerned she only had Abeka 5th grade Old World History and Geography) before she reaches high school. Which would you use if you were me? Although I would like a plan that would be easy to implement, I also know that I do need to make the best choices for my dc academically.
Thanks!

re: MFW ECC or HOD???

This won't be terribly helpful....

I would use MFW mainly because I could use the same basic program w/both of them. That means a lot to me.

I'll be using ECC w/my 3rd and 6th grader next year w/the 7th & 8th gr supplement. It looks great and it should just take a couple hours /day to implement. If you want more details, you can check out the MFW boards or the ECC yahoo group.

I hope someone who knows about each one can help you.

Spetzi

We are currently using CTC and Bigger from HOD. I also considered doing ECC this year but ended up going with HOD. I am happy that I did! The kids are all loving their programs. I think it's more interesting and fun for them than ECC would have been. As far as time goes, CTC is mainly independent. Most of your teaching time will be with Bigger. You will be spending more time helping the 4th grader than the 7th grader whichever curriculum you choose. You can also combine the storytimes for both HOD programs also to cut down on independent time. But even the teaching time with Bigger is not that long.

I think ECC looks like a great program too, just different. It just depends on what you want. Our experience has been with HOD though and we love it.

Monique

Hmm...interesting you should ask. I'm very tempted to do Preparing with my 4th grader for history, because all I would need is the TM and CHOW to complete the package. However, I tried Bigger with her last year, and I found it to be a little more teacher intensive than I'm comfortable with. Although, in hindsight, it could have been that she wasn't quite ready for it yet...even though that's where she placed. With that in mind and having a friend who uses and loves Preparing, I hesitate because of what I feel the program will require of me. OTH, I will have my oldest dd (going into 10th) using HOD's new RtR in high school. She will do this almost completely independently, though...at least that is the plan.

I decided to go with ECC for my 4th grader, only because I already have it (1st ed), and I know it well. This particular year of MFW is not very teacher intensive at all if you're using it for a 4th grader on up, and it is true that it's much easier to combine larger age spans when using MFW, if that's what you're looking to do. I don't combine, though. :) The same dd will also be finishing up her 4th grade SS PACES which are also focused on some basic world geography.

So I will have 3 separate programs running for SS/History next fall:
HOD RtR(10th), ACE (8th), and MFW ECC (4th)

I intend for my older two to do most of the work independently with very little "teaching" on my part. They prefer this. I hesitated "wasting" a whole year on "just geography" for my 4th grader, but she really loves to study geography and missionaries, in particular. I think it will work well for *her*, and I'm scaling the program back a bit in order to accomodate her PACE work, which is a nice fall back for those days where I'm just not super available, KWIM? I have a 5 yo who's learning to read at the moment, and we all know that takes mommy time. :) If I didn't already own the MFW, I would probably just have considered something like A Child's Geography or Galloping the Globe for some additional geography stuff that's much cheaper.

I DO like the HOD programs, however, I do find their younger ones to be a bit teacher intensive based upon my own experience and also that of my friend who is using it. If those are your only two dc, though, perhaps you would not be as overwhelmed with it as I was as a mother of 4 with large spans. Some moms are able to pull it off, but I found Bigger to be much more work than MFW ECC. Also, ECC's 2nd edition supposedly makes it even easier with less to photocopy. JMHO.

Nancy

I know that these two programs do not cover the same kind of material but I was just wondering for those who have used both or either, which makes for a longer school day. Which is easier to implement? -----------

Last year we began with Preparing. I used it for about 6 wks with 3rd and 5th graders. It was too much for me. We quickly switched back to MFW CTG. I feel that MFW is sooooo much easier to combine diffeerent ages and easier to implement. Our school day is shorter with MFW. We are done before lunch:0)

I have ECC and tried to use it a few years ago...I even upgraded since trying it thinking I would give it another go. We found the Christian Hero series to be very dry, we never finished the series. The Trip around the World books were Ok, but we really disliked the World Geography workbook. We made it about 1/3 of the way through before we stopped using it. I added a LOT of culture books and to be honest those books, cooking, and Window on the World were the only things we enjoyed. It was just not a good fit for our style.

I have used Bigger and one child loved the Eggleston books and the other hated them...so I would find a sample to see if they are a good fit for your child. We are currently using CTC and the kids and I prefer it hands down to ECC. CTC has been a good fit for my 6th grader who can do most of it independently. She is also using the extensions. It has not been the fit I had hoped for my younger one, 9 . She can narrate beautifully, better than older sister, but she is not ready to write her narrations all by herself. She is also not connecting with the Guerber/Miller book or the Genesis Finding our Roots book and for that matter NONE of us are liking the A Childs Geography book.

We are currently on break and stopped at week 6 in HOD CTC. I have MFW CTG on my shelf and I am strongly considering moving my younger to it. Preparing probably would have been a better fit for her...but I strongly dislike A Childs History of the World and after reading a bit from Grandpas box did not care for it.

Yep...we are too picky ...LOL! I want a little of this program and a little of that one.

My real advice is to find samples or get your hands on the spines and print off the sample weeks and see how they fit for your children.

Violet said: Yep...we are too picky ...LOL! I want a little of this program and a little of that one.
------------

LOL! Yes, yes, yes! This is so our problem when it comes to lit packages like MFW and HOD. There are some books that we love and others that we could live without and yet others that we absolutely detest. With MFW, it drives me crazy how they jump around in all of the books in order to keep the flow of the "unit." I understand why they do it, but it still drives my mind nutso.

The only reason that I'm drawn to use HOD with my oldest is because of their use of MOH, and it appears to be used in order for 21 weeks of the program. Plus, I like their notebooking pages and so will my dd. And for our using ECC, because we've already used it once, I'm already familiar with the books and activities that "work" for us and the ones that don't. In fact, I've even marked the library book basket books that we liked best, so that makes it easy for me to just pick it up and go. I don't need all of the extras that the HOD TM provides for this dc because she will be using ILL 3x's per week in addition to her normal LA program (MFW reminds me to do this :) I don't plan to go hyper in depth concerning SS with my 4th grader, because I have learned that not only do they get to the same stuff later on, but they can only remember so much at this age. She keeps saying that she wants to be a missionary one day, so I'm sure she'll enjoy ECC for her topic of study next year. I'm hoping it, along with her ACE PACES, will lay a solid foundation for studying the ancients via MOH the following year.

I know it's a tough call. If I were you, I'd just really seek the Lord about which content he wants for you to cover with your kiddos, since the programs are so completely different. Do your dc work well together? Does your older do well with independent study...or will he need a little hand-holding still? Your younger will most likely need some involvement from you no matter which program you use. Do you want a program that involves more in the LA departement (poetry, systematic studied dictation exercises, etc...)? Do you want something that gives you the key idea for all that your child should be learning? Just some food for thought...

Also, to add to my novel here... I wanted to comment that I think that some of the books used in MFW can be a little mature for younger minds. Even some of the missionary stories can get pretty graphic. They are true stories, but one must ask themselves if their dc are readly to take in such mature content. We will not be doing all of the missionary read alouds. Between our PACES and Hero Tales, she will get plenty of coverage on missionaries. This dc of mine is very sensitive. To the credit of HOD, I DO think that their book choices are a little more age appropriate at times than MFW. Again...JMHO. :)

Nancy

We love HOD and did not find the one size fits all thing of MFW worked so well for us. One thing that we love about HOD is that we are able to meet our children at their level and meet all their needs. It is true that teaching the years as they are getting fluent at reading does take more time. It scares me though to think of a way that would give children at this age less attention.

I see such a trend lately toward making kids more independent and less teacher time when they are very young. To me it makes more sense as they get older and actually gain the skills they gain independence. That is one of the things I love about HOD is that it teaches the skills of independence guide by guide and then gives them the independence a little in each guide until they get into the upper guides where they are quite independent. If you look at the lesson plans past Bigger you will see a box or so given to the child to do independently a year and it grows that way. If you look at the guides up to and including Bigger you see the boxes getting more substantial as the child gains skills. To me that makes more sense that they have the guidance and help from the parent while they are learning skills like reading writing and narration and that after they learn some of those skills they gain independence because of the solid foundation.

I have used HOD on all ends and by the end of this school year, which is closely approaching I will have used LFFHG, Bigger, Beyond, Preparing and CTC. So I truly have experience HOD on the lower end of the age spectrum and the higher end and I have a good view of how one program flows to the other. I see how yes some teacher time is required to build some skills like reading, spelling, beginning math skills, handwriting, copywork etc. But later the reward is they solidly have those skills and become more and more independent , not just away from the mom having to put in effort but with the child having learned how to learn on their own in a deep way and make the spiritual connection to what they are learning on their own. First they get milk then they get solid food.

Anyway I just wanted to explain how I see that since I see it popping up all over the place parents are wanting things that are very independent at the lower levels. Just some food for thought at another way and where that leads. : ) And one other thing I would never give up about really putting more time in at the early years, sweet memories that last a lifetime and a closeness that runs deep because we learned together. Would not trade it for the world.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions