Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Alpha and omega vs ACE

Alpha and omega vs ACE

My mom is currently homeschooling 7 adopted children. She has used all Abeka. She likes the structure of it, but 3 of the kids have some cognitive problems and she needs something slower paced for those 3. The 16 yr old is doing 3rd grade Abeka, the 14 yr old is doing 6th grade Abeka and the almost 9 yr old is doing 2nd grade Abeka. It really has been a struggle this year for those three and my mom feels it is interfering with their bonding. I live with them and have observed everything and I think she needs to switch as well. I suggested either ACE or Alpha and Omega. If you have other suggestions I'd like to hear them. Can anyone recommend one over the other? I know ACE is supposed to be slower paced and I think that alpha and Omega may be a little slower as well. For this situation the slower the better. Thanks!

This post was edited on May 22, 2010 10:27 PM

re: Alpha and omega vs ACE

I personally would go with ACE. We've tried both and we prefer ACE.

It is a bit slow in the lower grades, for a good grounding, then it picks up in upper grades.

I would agree as previous poster. we have used both and I by far would choose ACE over Alpha Omega. In Alpha Omega once you hit about grade 5, with their Science especially, it just isn't presented as well. I don't have a problem with Alpha Omega up to grade 5, but past that, I don't recommend it.

Hi, lottidah27. It's nice to "see" you again.

Perhaps she could drop some subjects. I don't think formal science and social studies are necessary at the third and second grade level. Maybe your mother would be better off just doing the Three Rs. Bible study could simply be listening to the Bible and doing oral narrations.

We are having great success with The Writing Road to Reading here. It is a very inexpensive program. It would probably cost $25 for the two doing 2nd and 3rd grade work. It covers handwriting, phonics, spelling and beginning writing (sentences). There is nothing babyish about it. There is no busywork. It is easy to speed up or slow down the program as necessary. We have gotten a lot out of the time we have put into it. I think it would be great for older students like your siblings.

It is hard to find books for older 'emergent' readers. My son enjoyed the first grade Pathway readers. They have black and white drawings and are about farm children. The children in the books are younger than your siblings, but they still might like them. The McGuffey primer is also a good book which is not as childish as some books. Elson readers are good too.

This post was edited on May 23, 2010 08:47 AM

I'd definitely go with ACE. I've tried both and ACE is definitely far better than the lifepacs put out by Alpha and Omega. There are quite a few ACE users on this board. Hopefully they will chime in and tell you more about ACE. I've only used one subject thus far, so I can't say a whole lot about them, but I love what I've seen thus far.

Your sister is a saint! God bless her in her efforts to teach and care for these children.

Between those 2, definitely go with the ACE choice. It focuses primarily on the concrete rather than abstract thinking in the early years, which really helps a child who may have some cognitive issues. It begins to transition to a bit more abstract around 5th grade, and then by 8th, it gets pretty tough. In fact, I was just comparing our 7th/8th grade stuff recently, and I'm sort of nervous for my ds who will be moving into 8th grade next year, because I'm not sure how he's going to swallow the increase in level of difficulty and expectations, namely in the science and ss PACES, but at the same time, I think this is just what he needs. ACE presents info in bite-sized chunks, which really helps with retention. Although I love those A Beka books too (we have many of them), they are jam packed with info and rich vocabulary so much so that it can make it difficult for an average to below average student to use independently without direct teaching, IMO. The questions in A Beka cover a broader range of material at a time, forcing the dc to remember a lot more info in larger chunks than ACE, which is great for advanced and even gifted students. JMHO, though.

OH, and ACE offers placement testing which may be beneficial for seeing where, exactly, the dc's strengths/weaknesses lie.

Nancy

I guess ACE paces wins :) Yes Abeka has an advanced vocabulary and the 7 children that my parents homeschool are came here speaking spanish, russian and Amharic(ethiopian). Some of them have been able to handle the Abeka vocan fine, but the ones with cognitive problems are really having a hard time since there is already English language issues as well.

Hey C-mo! I've been in a middle of a long drawn out divorce. I filed in Jan. and it looks like it won't be finished for another 6 months. So I haven't been on here much. I've been trying to finish up our homeschooling this year and I'll be teaching at a private school next year that my kids will attend. It is sad to not homeschool because that is what I always wanted to do. I've just had to trust the Lord in this and I hope that the opportunity will come at some point to homeschool again. But I can still get a curriculum fix every once in a while by helping my mom pick out her curriculum LOL

Aw, well, I'm glad you came here for a curriculum fix. God bless.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions