Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

k12 vs. CONNECTIONS ACADEMY

k12 vs. CONNECTIONS ACADEMY

I am new to homeschooling and the entire process. I have recently enrolled my son in K12 (Georgia Cyber Academy). I was told good things about this program. Only 18-20 hours login weekly and the times and days vary depending on me. I was told that I would be able to take vacations at anytime as long as internet access to login. But after reading various comments, I am a bit concerned. Connections Academy is not offered in GA at this time. However the state (TX) I just moved from has it. Is there a big difference between the two?

re: k12 vs. CONNECTIONS ACADEMY

I'm not from your area, but I will give you my advice/opinion. K12 is a good cirriculum, for a quick learner. If your child needs review, I don't recommend it. I have been looking for a cyber school for my ds13 and I looked into Connections, it looked good but I want something a little more guided for ds(more teacher involved and wanted my son to participate in online classes). I went to one of their meetings and it "looks" inviting, but for some reason I just didn't feel good about going with them. I then found one that I think will be very good for him. This one is only offered in PA. If you are a christian, it's good to really pray about this. I did and I'm glad I didn't make an immediate decision, because the more I prayed about Connections, the more I was guided away. This doesn't mean Connections isn't for you, just really pray about it.

To clarify, you did not enroll your dc in K12. You enrolled your dc in Connections Academy, which is a public school, and you're required to use K12, provided by the state.

You need to understand the difference. Legally, when you enroll in a public school program, your dc are public school students, not homeschooled. You comply with public school laws, not homeschool laws.

Here's the link to an article by HSLDA:

www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/C/CharterSchools.asp

"Charter School Seduction" by Mary Leggewie:

www.homeschoolchristian.com/allabout/editorials/govintervention/govcharter.php

Connections Academy and K12 are 2 different things. Yes, Ellie is correct in the fact that you are enrolling in a VCS through the state of Georgia rather than enrolling directly with K12, but I wanted to clarify that these are 2 different programs with different curriculum and requirements. Connections Academy is something you can also enroll directly in if your state does not have it as a VCS. I know I looked into it awhile ago, and if I remember correctly Connections Academy (as an independent user) is more of a private cyber school, whereas K12 (as an independent user) has both a homeschool option and a private cyber school option. If you enroll in a private cyber school you are not "technically" homeschooling -- you are sending your child to private school that issues your child credits and grades for the work they turn in. The child has specific deadlines to meet & the schedule is more rigid.

FWIW, we use K12 as independent users (homeschool option, not their private academy) and we're extremely happy with it. We are using it this year for first grade, and we're using it next year for 2nd. The work is challenging, but there is a lot of built-in optional review if you choose to use it -- at least that has been my experience with 1st grade. The older grades may/may not have more/less review.

~Julie

You can purchase K12 all by your onesie. You're accountable to no one. Or you can enroll in a public school program (often it's a charter school, but not always) and be given K12 to use. You're accountable to the cyber-school, not to K12.

I don't see anything on the K12 site that says anything about "private academy." Do you have a link for that? I only see the listing of states which have charter schools providing K12.

This post was edited on May 16, 2010 03:15 PM

Are you asking about the difference between K12 and Connections Academy, OR are you asking about life enrolled in a Cyber School (ie public school student who does work at home with curriculum provided by the state) ?

If you are asking about life as a Cyber School student, each state who offers Cyber schooling has different rules and regulations. It would be best to talk to someone who lives in your state and uses it. Some require certain amount of hours per week, testing, oversight by teachers, etc etc.

Each Cyber school picks which curriculum they choose to use....the two most common are K12 and Connections Academy (which uses mostly Calvert Curriculum, which is another curriculum you can purchase on your own as a homeschooler).

K12 can be used as a independent, meaning you pay for it yourself. You do not answer to any one, nor do they check up on you. You pay the bill, they give you the curriculum...basically end of story. Now using K12 as a Cyber school student, again K12 is NOT who you answer too, it's your Cyber school. K12 overall is a great program, we have used different portions of it, at different times. I don't really have anything bad about it, and especially LOVE the history portion of it. You can look up reviews of K12 and there are also yahoo groups for K12 users. BTW, although K12 is an online curriculum, there's a ton of off-line work you do, and you get a ton of books/workbooks. You and your child WILL NOT be sitting in front of a computer screen most of the day, which is a common misconception.

Connections Academy uses Calvert as their main spine, but they are doing more and more online (similiar to K12). I don't know much about Connections per se, but I do know that Calvert has been around a long time as a HS choice, and we used them in 1st grade. There are BIG time lovers of it out there, I thought it was ah, so-so.

Ellie,

Here is a link to the K12 private school:

http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/online-private-school/

You probably missed it because their website leaves a lot to be desired in terms of navigation.

~Julie

OIC. TYVM. :-)

Yes, the Web site makes me crazy. :-p.

ETA: WOW!!! ::falls over in a dead faint:: Did you see how much that costs???!!!

This post was edited on May 16, 2010 08:46 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions