Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Singapore vs. Math Mammoth

Singapore vs. Math Mammoth

I'm looking for a comparison of these two from someone that has used both. I'm debating using Singapore Standards Ed. with the HIGs (1A) or Math Mammoth 1.
I've used Sinagpore 2A/B without the texts and HIG's (just using our curriculum's hands-on activities for it's daily singapore plans) and I've also now used some of Math Mammoth 3. My daughter is now thriving in MM, but I wonder if we'd started off with SM, and I had used the HIG's to help me teach it, if we'd be enjoying SM more and thriving with it.
My next child is soon to start 1st grade and I'm trying to decide which road to take with him since I can start from the ground level in either one now.
I'd like to know about the plans in the HIGs for the standards ed and how specific and clear they are. How much teaching time is there each day? What sort of activities are there?
If you've used both, which do you prefer and why?
Are they both as equally "rigorous" (not level by level, but in the end...let's say once you reach level 5 or 6)?
If you use MM and add in Singapore's CWP, how does that work since the S&S is so different? At what level do you start adding it in and how/when?
Are the explanations in SM/MM enough? Are they clear?
Which do you prefer and why?

re: Singapore vs. Math Mammoth

i don't know how much this will help, I have used SM 1a/1b with the HIGs and found the Higs to be VERY helpful. Even though the curriculum I use does have hands on activities to go along with SM, I found that HIG really help you, as the teacher, to be able to understand the method. The HIG also have lots of activities for reinforcement, which we have found to be exceptionally helpful.

My dd is on the young side for 1a/1b and hasn't quite grasped all the concepts and needs more practice to cement things in her mind. For that I bought the Math Mammoth Blue series of workbooks. I am VERY impressed with the layout of the lessons, the amount of work in the books, and the scope and sequence. not only that, but my dd is EXCITED to use these books over the summer and actually thanked me today when I told her that she would be working out of them over the summer. :-D

Suffice it to say, I think she will have a firm grasp of the concepts before we start school next year. I'm thrilled to have MM as our reinforcment for SM.

I really can't answer your questions about the CWP, but the S&S's are quite different in SM and MM, so I'm not sure how you would mesh them. But I quess if I'm confident that I can line up the Blue series with SM, then you can probably do the opposite and add CWP into MM.

Bst wishes!!

Nancy F.

Thanks Nancy. That was helpful :o)

Anyone else? I am so stressed over this..I know it's crazy to worry so much about it for 1st grade, but what we do now is what I want to continue doing for the long haul (until 6th grade). I don't want that whole math-switching thing going on with this child.

Can you all help me choose...please?!

He's bright, loves math. Seems to "get it" fairly intuitively. Hasn't had much "formal" math yet, although every time I try to teach him he's like, "C'mon mom, let's do something I don't already know." I tell him or show him and he knows it...until I did tens/ones the other day in his Singapore Earlybird 2A book the other day. That's a tough one though. I know we'll get to it again in 1st. He did great on the work page, but we're still working on it "in real life". Other than that, he can do math in his head, multi-step "word problems" on a whim for fun while riding down the road, already seems to have a decent grasp of some addition facts (mostly doubles and lower facts like +1,+2 and maybe +3 too)...all without me teaching him.
I'm not sure he needs a lot of review...or maybe review is good but doesn't need a lot of problems to get the concept. He gets bored quick, and is a wiggly worm (what 6/7yo boy isn't?). He literally begs to do math. Got out of bed last night to ask if we could do just one more page...seriously, not trying to get out of going to bed! LOL
Does he sound like a Singapore kid or a MM kid?

Now for me though, I was taught rote memory math, step by step formulaic-don't-need-to-know-why, just-do-it-this-way kind of math. In fact, I stink at math facts. I'm not great with explaining, and I need some hand holding. I can't decide if the rumored to be quite clear explanations of MM are what I need, or if the HIG's and lesson plans of SM are what I need. I just need CLEAR, plain english, and it helps me to know what/how much to do each day. Otherwise, I have trouble even getting started. I'm finding it hard to do MM at times, b/c I don't really know how much is enough, or too much. And there are many more problems per page than in SM-- it's taking DD For. Ev. Er. to finish, but she's slow anyway. But, she GETS MATH using MM. So I like it. A lot. I will have 4 children to teach math to though, so I need something that won't take up a lot of MY time.

Oh help me, help me, help me. LOL. Please. Someone just tell me, "[insert math program name] is what you need. Go buy [ ] start [ ], enjoy [ ], get back to daily life b/c your math decision is now made. Go buy ____ now. Right now." Then tell me where to get it cheap b/c dh is a full-time RN student and we have 4 children. hehe.

I haven't tried MM, so I can't answer your question. I do love Singapore, though, and it is a great fit for my math inclined 9yo. We are doing 4b now and have been adding CWP and have also done some Intensive Practice. I just wanted to question you though. Do you mean to say you've done SM without the textbook, using the workbook only? The textbook is where most of the concepts are explained to the student. The textbooks are definitely not optional.

Yes, I did it without the textbook and only the workbooks. BUT, the curriculum we use has daily hands-on activities planned to teach the lessons for Singapore US Edition up through 2B. I just found that wasn't enough for me, as the teacher, that isn't math inclined whatsoever. I could do the activity, but still couldn't really explain the concept as we transitioned to the workpage.
I understand now that the HIG's are essential (at least in my case). And I now prefer the Standards Ed.

I used Singapore with my oldest, very math inclined, boy. It was a perfect fit for him because there wasn't a ton of practice. There was just enough to reinforce the concept for him. He was always ahead of where we were concept-wise. He always seemed to have figured out the next step. The only thing he ever needed help with was multi-step multiplication and long division. Those took more than one day to "get."

I've just returned to Singapore for my youngest boy. He isn't as advanced as his older brother, but he still seems to "get it" fairly quickly. I did try some Math Mammoth for him, but there was a lot more per page in MM at this level, and he was supposed to write in some pretty small places. He just can't physically handle that at this point. So I went with SM because the pages have more space and less writing, if that makes sense. I really like the looks of MM, but we'll be sticking with SM here. We'll supplement with MM if necessary.

Jennifer

Anyone else have any good info for me about these two? I was leaning toward MM but I think I'm leaning toward SM SE now. I have 2 more children (and who knows, maybe more later) coming up after this child so if I do MM with my oldest and SM with this one, I'll have a good feel for both and know which to use for the next two.

But, I am so nervous about SM. I'm so worried I won't know how to do it! Well, how to teach it anyway.

I need some convincing!

I use Singapore for my main math (textbook & workbook without the Instructor's guide). I do like the way it explains concepts and overall am pleased. However when we moved to long division it became apparent that while my child understood the concept, the multiplication facts were not memorized well enough to work out the problems without anguish.
Now we are using Math Mammoth's Multiplication book to solidify those facts, then will go back to Singapore.
I could have just used free resources to drill those facts, but I do like the way MM explains and covers it.
If you continue with Singapore, I think you need the textbooks and workbooks to get the most out of the program.
Math Mammoth seems like an excellent curriculum too and I may end up using that solely for my youngest child.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions