Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Explode the Code??

Explode the Code??

Are the Teacher Guides a necessary part of Explode the code on all levels? I have not used this before. And has anybody used How to Teach Your child in 100 EZ Lessons and used ETC with or after it? And at what level did you start?

Thanks,
Julie in SC

re: Explode the Code??

We have used all the ETC through level 6 and I have not felt the need for a teachers guide.

We used 100 Easy Lessons along with learning all the phonograms (SWR) and reviewing them daily. Then we added ETC and All About Spelling.

Never needed the teacher manual. We used Reading Made Easy (very similar to 100 EZ) and Explode the Code. At the preschool-k level we did the "Before the Code" books A, B, & C (though we never needed book C - by then we were ready to start book 1. We did Book 1 and sometimes 2 in Kindergarten depending on the kid. And went on from there. By the time we hit about lesson 60 in the Reading Made Easy book we stopped and went with Pathway Readers - the First Steps book (Primer) and just kept going. The problems we had with RME and 100EZ was the dependency on the letters being bolded/slanted/marked in some way, which is why we stop around lesson 60. Explode the Code has been a staple in phonics learning with all of my kids.

I never used the teacher's guide, didn't even know there was one until long after our phonics days were over. I used ETC successfully with all three of my children along with readers and with middle dd I combined with Phonics Pathways and Reading Pathways. If I were to do it all over again, I definitely use ETC, Pathways and add in readers. These made a great program. :)

Thanks to all of you. That really answers my questions my other dc are good readers, but one of them has struggled some in spelling and decoding some words and I think it is definitely because I went from 100 EZ lessons straight to readers without using more phonics etc along with 100 EZ lessons.

Julie in SC

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions