Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Has anyone heard of Starline Press Curriculum?

Has anyone heard of Starline Press Curriculum?

I came across this curriculum by accident. It looks like a secular version of ACE or Lifepacs. But it states it is aligned to CA standards.
I really like the looks of it. It has 12 small workbooks, with a test. And they are in color. But they seem to be pricey. Around $90.00 for the workbooks and answer keys per subjects.
Curious to hear if anyone has tried this curriculum, and thoughts about it?

re: Has anyone heard of Starline Press Curriculum?

anyone?

I looked at it a while back, and it looked good to me, but I never did try it.

Audrey

My friend used this for this past school year. The good thing is that the boocklets are short and concise and the kids know what they need to work on. The bad - a lot of the math answer key problems were wrong. When my friend told me this, other moms were standing there agreeing. She said she could handle that up til 8th grade, after that, no. For me, if the answer keys are wrong even for 1st grade it makes me wonder about what content they're putting in the books and how corredt it is. My friend said she loves the American History, done very well. Doesn't care for the language arts. Math has no pictures for jr. high, don't know about elementary. Good old fashioned math books will work just fine and you can teach character to your kids anyway.

I've just started using this with my 10th/11th grader (he's a bit of both). I really like it. And more importantly, my son loves it. I've never used this format before (the booklets). It's so simple to use! (Those of you using ACE, Lifepacs, etc. are really on to something, lol!!) I don't mean the program is easy, just simple to follow. This program has the student use goal cards to schedule the work for the week (more on this below).

We've done only one unit in each subject we're using, so our experience is limited, but with that in mind I'll give you my impressions so far.

My ds is using world history, biology, and english. He (and I) find the content really interesting. He's is literally learning new things every day. I was concerned it might just be fill in the blank type stuff, and yes there is some of that, but there is more as well. For example, for the first unit of history, he has had to research and write about such topics as: study the lives of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and how each influenced the next. Investigate "The Republic" and "Politics" and explain the influences these works have on our our political ideas, rule of law, and governing bodies. Not easy!! And there are three more research/write topics just in this one unit.

The biology and english are also interesting. This first unit of english discussed the development of the english language, which my son really enjoyed. The biology book starts with discussions on what is truth, and how that applies to science. I will say there are some typos in the biology...nothing major, just there. I think they're working on correcting the typos.

I am not using the math, so I can't comment on that.

If you go to the website you can download the scope and sequence for all the grades. It shows all the topics covered in each unit.

This is a very different approach to h'schooling than we've used before (lit based, CM, unit study), so I really wasn't sure what to expect. I'm surprised how much we (son and I) really like it. My ds also really likes setting his own goals for the week, and checking everything off as he goes. Oh my, I think we've become box checkers, lol! He goes through the units Monday mornings and assigns himself work for each day (with my oversight, of course). I use index cards to write up extra things I want him to do (draw, journal, play a geography board game, work on a project). I give him the cards and he schedules them in, too. This satisfies my hands on, CM influenced side. :)

I don't know if this helps! I called the publisher when I became interested in this program, and they sent me a few units to try out...for free! It might be worth a call.

Dawn

This post was edited on Jun 15, 2010 07:16 PM

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions