Homeschooling Discussions

Reply to topic

Search

Switched-On Schoolhouse-buying used?

Switched-On Schoolhouse-buying used?

I was wondering if you can buy previous years of Switched-On Schoolhouse software and still have it work properly? I'm considering this for Science and History for next year.

Thank You
--Amanda--

re: Switched-On Schoolhouse-buying used?

I think it's illegal to sell them.

There was once a lawsuit that ended up proving that it IS legal and there's not really anything they can do to stop you BUT when you agree to the licensing agreement (which you MUST do as part of the installation process) you DO AGREE not to resell it. Therefore, it becomes a moral consideration.

But yes, it will work fine if you buy it used and install it as long as, of course, it hasn't been damaged.

HTH :o)

This was something that I called AOP about yesterday. I have a SOS science, grade 3 that's never been used. As a matter of fact, I did not even register the software. The lady I talked to said that it was not legal for me to sell it. I don't understand their policy, but I will be giving this away. However, I will ask someone for a "donation" to my homeschool in exchange. ;)

If you need a 2009 grade 3 science, give me a donation and I'll send you this for free!
Tina

A solution to re using the software, leave this year's installation on your computer. When you get the curriculum, install the subjects onto that installation. It will let you set up a new school year etc.
The installation disk is the only thing you have to register, if you did it last year you can use it forever. I had a 2009 installation for 7th grade, this year I bought a 2006 for 8th grade. Just installed the 06 subjects onto the installation already there & works like a charm. The other benefit is I will have both years terms readily accessible. Next year I'll find a 9th grade & add it to the rest.

I bought SOS English once. I was not impressed with the content and even less impressed with the company.

I buy almost all my curriculum brand new, but I refuse to buy from anyone that will try to stop me from reselling something that I own. Even if my children liked it, I wouldn't buy it for that reason.

We bought all our SOS, when we used it, used off ebay. We always used the 2006 version or below because it didn't need to connect to the internet and register. Because I bought used, I never agreed not to resale, and I resold mine on ebay when I got done. (and I never knew about that policy then anyway)

I think that is a ridiculous policy and I will not use AOP because of that. That is greed and ridiculous!!! What if car companies said you couldn't resale your car, or clothes, or other things.
That is a horrible, greedy, ignorant thing for them to do, ECSPECIALLY, as a christian company.

Before we moved, I had a SOS health curriculum that we had barely used. I hated the thought of throwing it away so I took it to a book sale and gave it away. The person I gave it to ended up giving me 5 dollars because she had heard otherwise about reselling. I considered that a "donation" to our move. :)

Alisa R.

Reply to topic

Search

Return to Homeschooling Discussions